Secrets & Pasts

Chapter 28: Secrets & Pasts

“Um…I…” how was I supposed to tell him? How am I supposed to explain this? I sat up and distanced myself from him. How could I have been so careless?

“Annabelle, please you’re scaring me. It couldn’t have been that bad.” He said and slid closer to me and draped his arm around me.

“You have no idea.” I muffled. “I don’t want to lose you.” I added. I felt tears sting my eyes. I buried my face into my knees. Tears traveled down my cheeks.

“Annabelle, I’m not going anywhere. Please.” He pleaded.

I was never going to win this fight. I was going to have to tell him. I was going to have to trust that he wasn’t going to leave.

I looked at him with tear stained eyes. He used his thumb and wiped them away. His face was full of concern and pain for me.

“I had a—a miscarriage when I was 13.” I choked out.

I buried my head in my knees and sobbed. He was going to leave, I just knew it. Why would anyone want to stay with someone who was going to have a baby at the age of 13? My past would always be there to haunt me; but then something surprised me. I felt a warm arm slide around me, pulling me into their chest.

I pulled away and looked up to see Chase’s face right next to mine. His face held so much care and concern. He didn’t run, he didn’t leave. But why?

“You’re still here.” I whispered.

He cupped my head in his hands and creased my tear stained cheek with his thumb. “I told you, I’m not going anywhere.”

“Even when I tell you that the only reason I had a miscarriage is because I was abused, and the only reason I was pregnant was because I was…I was raped.” I sobbed still cringing at the sound of the word raped.

I saw his jaw clench in anger. “Whoever did this to you should pay, will pay.” He said through clench teeth. I brought my hand up to his face. With every touch brought so much warmth and happiness. His liquid blue eyes poured into mine. I felt a tear escape my eyes.

“You stayed.”

His face softened. “Of course I stayed. You can’t get rid of me that easy. I love you Annabelle for all of you. Not just the good but the bad as well. It wasn’t your fault that any of—” I didn’t want to hear him talk anymore, he stayed and that’s all I cared about; so I shut him up by placing my lips on his.

Heat swarmed my body, leaving me feeling dizzy. I loved this feeling; I never want it to go away. I felt a rain drop slide down my cheek. I pulled away and looked up to the sky. It rumbled above us and rain started to pour down. I looked back at Chase, and I felt a smile form on my lips. “I love you Chase.” I said filling every word with love as I pushed my lips hard against his.

I love him, I love him, I love him. Was all I could think as the rain poured down as I kiss my boyfriend. I pulled away out of breath. He smiled that smile I love more than anything and I’m sure I mimicked his smile.

It was time to tell him about my parents. I wasn’t going to hold back now that I knew I could trust him. I knew Jace would be the same way with Isabelle so I just needed to persuade her that it’s time to tell them.

“Let’s go.” I told him, standing up now drenched in water. My clothes clung to my body as were Chase’s. Man did he look good.

We walked hand in hand, back to his car; laughing at how we looked. We drove back to the hospital and snuck past security. I ran ahead of Chase dragging him along with me. He stopped me right before we reached Isabelle’s door.