Broken Promises Part 1

Chapter 23: Broken Promises

***Annabelle***

Everything moved in slow motion the next day. The classes felt longer; I felt more sluggish than usual, and I was completely out of it. I had gotten yelled at several times in Gym for not participating or for not hustling, but I couldn’t find the strength to make my body move. I was dead inside a living body.

I was completely drained from last night, and all I wanted to do was curl up in my bed; but Isabelle made me get out of bed and go to school. “Are you sure you’re alright?” Jordan asked for the millionth time today. What was I supposed to say, no I am breaking on the inside because, last night I found my dead parents tombstone, no thank you!

“I’m fine.” I lied .

“Whatever.” He muttered as I made my way into Math. The thought of seeing Chase made a small smile find its way on my lips, but when I looked over to where our desks were, he was nowhere in sight.

My heart sank when I didn’t see him and I slowly made my way to my desk. Once the bell rang and he wasn’t here, I began to worry. What if something bad had happened? What if he is hurt? Why was he not around when I needed him the most?

I tried to calm myself by telling myself he probably felt sick so he went back to his dorm, I will have to go and check on him during lunch.

I didn’t hear a single word my math teacher said, and frankly I didn’t care. My mind was so far from school I didn’t even know why I was still here. I went through the motions of copying the notes and doing the example questions only to have my mind elsewhere.

When the bell rang I was called to my teacher’s desk. “Annabelle can you give this to Chase for me, it’s his homework.”

“Yes Sir.” I said. Where could he have been? He could have at least texted that he was sick.

When lunched rolled around and I still couldn’t find Chase I decided I would go and surprise Grandpa with lunch. I walked into the office and the secretary was nowhere in sight. I shrugged my shoulders and went to Grandpa’s room. I was about to knock when I heard voices. It sounded like Rosey’s voice.

“We have to tell them.” Someone said, yes definitely Rosey’s voice. I leant in closer, hoping to hear better. I know ease dropping is bad but I couldn’t help myself.

“No we will not tell them who we are, I’m not ready yet. I’m perfectly happy pretending they are my grandchildren.” I heard Grandpa say.

Who were they talking about? The only people I know that refer to him as Grandpa is me and Isabelle? I was so confused. I pressed my ear closer to the door.

“They are your grandchildren and it’s time you accept it. All you’re doing is hurting these girls even more everyday by not telling them, and if you’re not going to tell them I will.”

What the heck? Are they talking about me and Isabelle, being his grandchildren, it wasn’t possible. They would have told us, right?

“No you will not because I am your father, and you will do as I say.” He said in a stern voice. Father? Was Rosey Grandpa’s daughter?

“Annabelle and Isabelle have a right to know who we are to them; we can’t keep pretending their whole life.”

Holy…they just said our names. I put the pieces together like a jigsaw puzzle. Rosey was our Aunt, and Teddy was our Grandfather.

Oh. My. God.

I slowly backed away from the door, emotions swirling all around me. I didn’t know whether to be happy or angry with them, I mean why couldn’t they tell us? I settled on being angry with them because it was easier than being happy.