Wake Up

Chapter 27: Wake Up

***Isabelle***

I felt something warm wrap around my hand; a small gesture that triggered a hopeful emotion in me. I’m alive, for now at least, but still alive. I wanted to squeeze back and show that I was there, that I was going to be okay. But I couldn’t. I couldn’t move at all.

Blackness surrounded me again and I could no longer see anything; not even the light. I tried to force my eyes open but there was a greater force keeping them shut. They felt like they were being weighed down by tons and tons of weights and yet I felt lighter than ever.

The quietness that surrounded me made me nervous. What could be happening in the outside world right now? Where’s Annabelle? Where are my friends? Where am I?

A beeping sound started to become clearer and I recognized it as an IV machine. Okay, so I could possibly be in a hospital.

I heard a door open and close as a voice commanding authority rang out in my ears.

“Has she awoken yet?” A male voice thundered in the room as I heard a clip board being shaken with papers. Someone beside me heaved a desperate sigh as they leaned into me, hair caressing my face.

Maybe it’s Annabelle; or maybe it’s a nurse. Is Annabelle holding my hand?

“Well she should be waking up soon; her wound has been healing well.” I guess that’s the doctor.

“Really?” A teary voice that I recognized as Annabelle’s questioned cheerily.

“Yea, she should be waking up soon.” The doctor stated.

“Thank you.” I heard a muffled, male voice whisper beside me. The voice sounded familiar but I couldn’t pinpoint whose it was.

I heard the door close shut again as more voices began to speak out in cheerful tones.

“She’s gonna wake up!”

“She’s gonna live.”

“She’s alive.”

Millions of comments rushed through the room and I felt the urge to shout at them and tell them to please be quiet. I am still kind of tired. I mean, I might have not been here in my body for a while but I still feel tired.

As the cheering continued I felt myself clench my jaw in frustration. Goodness these guys need to shut up now! As the cheering calmed and only pieces of conversations were audible as the voices conversed, I began to drift into a blissful sleep yet again. But this time I felt no pain, no rush. I had hope, I had life, and I was alive.

I was awoken by a loud and thunderous crash coming from a nearby window. I felt myself shudder in utter shock at the loud noise it produced.

“She moved!”

“She just moved!”

“Oh my God!”

I heard voices shouting again.

“Isabelle!”

“Isabelle!”

I heard my name being called out repeatedly.

“Will you all shut up?” I said, opening my eyes to reveal cheerful expressions from Annabelle, Jordan, Ashton, and Chase.

“I am trying to sleep!” I grunted as I closed my eyes once more, attempting to regain the precious time I still had to sleep.

“Isabelle’s awake and she’s as unhappy as ever!” I heard Jordan bellow in excitement as I felt his arms wrap around me.

“Ha-ha,” I replied, monotone. “Now get the hell off.” I pushed him away angrily as I reached toward Annabelle. She had a tear streaked face that showed just how upset she’d been.