Let's Talk

I Found You: Chapter 2

***Isabelle***

The muffled voices were now becoming clearer and clearer as I pealed my eyes away from the face that mirrored my own. "Congratulations on your perfect scores and keep up the great work." with that said the assistant principle dismissed us from the stage. I made my way down the steps as quickly as I could without drawing attention to myself. As I passed I heard that jerk of a guy that spilled my coffee mutter something but I ignored it. I stopped briefly to see that the girl had sat back down in her seat as if nothing was wrong. I scoffed and pushed the double doors leading out of the auditorium, open.

A gust of California air baffled me as I exited the school and tried to think and rationalize about what and who I just saw. Could that girl have been my--my twin? I don't remember a twin? I was only a year old when I had to go to the foster home, so it wouldn't make sense to remember. But why would they split us up? Why would they tear two sisters apart? She's a stranger to me, and yet I could see she was my sister. I could feel that safety that she held. Wait, did she know about me? Does she remember me? I shook my head to get free of my thoughts.

The sun was shining brightly but now it felt like rain as a tear strolled down my cheek. The campus was empty as I ran towards my dorm room. There was no one to stop and stare or ask questions which was great but what the heck am I supposed to do? I just saw a girl identical to me, what should I think?

I pushed open the door of my dorm and quickly shut it behind me as I entered the room. I was breathing heavily as I panted and flopped to the ground. I sat there for a while trying to figure out what was happening. I heard a faint knock on the door and immediately began to wipe my face. I assumed it was probably my roommate and I really don't need her seeing me cry.

I quickly opened the door to reveal a very worried looking Ashton. Before he said anything I jumped into his arms and hugged him tightly. He carried me over to my bed and sat down as he cradled me. "You okay Izzy?" he questioned. I nodded but it was a lie. How could I be alright if I just saw a double me?

"Izzy would you care to explain why I saw two of you up there on that stage" he prodded.

"Ashton I have no clue!" I said getting off of his lap. "That girl just has my face. I don't even know who she is! If she is my twin than we must have been separated at the foster home when we were younger because I don't remember her!"

Ashton sat there taking things in. "Well at least I'm not going crazy! I seriously thought I was going to die right there." he smiled trying to lighten up the mood but I was too upset to smile. "What did the assistant principle say her name was?"

"Ooh, ooh! She said her name was Annabelle!" Ashton answered eagerly, acting more like a little kid rather than a 17 year old boy. I nodded. "But she also said May, and that's my last name too." I concluded. "Yup!" Ashton said as he popped the P.

Right then I heard the door handle jiggle signaling someone trying to open the door. I guess this is going to be my roommate because this person didn't even knock. Thankfully my tears had dried up and my eyes were barely even red.

I glanced over at Ashton as he walked around the room looking at my things. As the door swung open it revealed the one and only: Annabelle. I gasped at the sight of her and she did the same which made Ashton whip around and turn to look at us both. Surprise and amusement was written on his face and I watched as Annabelle turned to face him and gave both of us a polite smile. I tried to smile but it came out more of like a scowl.

"H-Hello." she murmured nervously. Before I could say anything Ashton spoke up, "Well I bet you two have to talk, so I'll just-- I'll just go." he said pointing toward the door. "Uh, I'll call you later Isabelle May." he directed to me and I made a small wave goodbye. "Hey look Isabelle, now you're twice as beautiful." he teased as he passed by Annabelle. "Ashton! Get your butt out of here!" I urged him.