Art- Castiel

Trigger Warning: Mention of abuse

Growing up with abusive parents, you needed something to do that kept your mind off of things.

After rough days, during long nights, you had one hobby that kept you going.

Art.

You would spend hours sketching or painting, your room was littered with your work. You never showed anyone, but one day, you showed your parents.

Your parents hated them, they ripped your pictures and... You didn't want to think about the rest. But it was also the same night something broke into your house, setting it aflame. You alone escaped.

But you didn't stay to talk to the police, you just kept on running and running until you were found by a man named Bobby Singer.

He taught you about the supernatural and you met two boys who practically became your brothers. You continued drawing, but out of fear that your new family wouldn't like them, you made a promise to never show anyone your art until the right time.

You sighed, pulling out a blank canvas and set it up on the stand, thinking of what to paint. To the side, your many sketchbooks that you had filled throughout the years lay in neat stacks, facing downwards.

You mostly sketched the monsters that you had beaten with the Winchesters, people you've met, and places you've been. But you still showed them to no one.

But this year, you decided, this year you would open up. It was almost Christmas, maybe you would give Castiel a painting...

You brought out some paintbrushes and some paints, still unsure of what to do.

"Cas?" You called out to your boyfriend of three years. Your reply was the flap of wings and arms wrapping around you from behind.

"Hello Y/n." Your angel kissed the top of your forehead. You could tell that he was looking over at the canvas. "What can I help you with?"

"Can you explain what your favorite place to be is? Like, what would your Heaven look like?"

"Angel's don't get their own Heaven, but I prefer the Heaven of an autistic man-"

"No, what I'm saying is. If you had one, what would it look like. Not someone else's paradise, yours."

The arms unwrapped themselves from around you and Castiel walked over to the canvas stand, he traced a finger across the edge and concentrated for a bit. You took out a notepad, ready to write all the details.

"A mountain scene." He spoke quietly. "Looking from a river or a pond in a forest with the mountains in the distance."

He turned back to you, you hid the notepad.

"Why do you ask?"

"I just wanted to know, it sounds beautiful. But, what time of day would it be?"

"Dawn or dusk."

You nodded, already picturing what he described. But, to be honest, you were nervous. After you you finished and gave it to Castiel, how would he react? Would he like it?

"Are you okay, Y/n?" Cas asked, he was staring right at you. You froze and lowered your head.

"Yeah, I'm good."

Your angel walked over to you and put his hand under your chin so that you would look up at him. He leaned in and gave you a soft kiss.

"You know I will love you no matter what?"

You blushed.

"Yes."

"So you don't need to feel afraid, I don't know what you are thinking, but I just wanted to let you know that."

He kissed your forehead and you closed your eyes, taking a deep breath, and when you opened them, he was gone.

It was just you and the canvas now.

For days you worked, starting off with pencil and outlining the details. When it was ready, you started adding paint.

Castiel would drop by, but you wouldn't let him see what you were working on. Sam and Dean would come in to talk to you, but the same rules applied.

You needed it to be perfect before anyone saw.

It was Christmas Eve and you were adding the finishing touches.

You stood back and admired your work.

It was good, it was really good. You smiled and dipped the smallest brush into some white paint, signing your name at the bottom right corner.

"Done!" You chirped to yourself, cleaning up your art supplies. Tomorrow was the big day.

You woke up at the sound of loud knocks on your door.

"Merry Christmas Y/n! Now get out of bed!" Dean sing-songed as he walked down the hall, doing the same thing as he stopped outside of Sam's door.

You bolted upright and changed into your clothes for the day, taking one last peek at your painting.

"He's going to hate it." You groaned, anxiety settling in.

You paced around your room taking deep breaths, trying to calm your pounding heart.

"No, he's going to love it. It's good, it's really good." You spoke, unconvincingly trying to reassure yourself. "He said that he'll love me to matter what. What do I have to loose?"

You froze in place.

"No, he's going to hate it. And Dean is going to hate the sketch of him, and Sam is going to hate his, and Bobby his-" You started shaking. "It's going to be okay, it's going to be okay. it's going-"

"Hello Y/n." You turned around to see Castiel standing by your bed. His face melted into a concerned look and he embraced you in a hug. "What's wrong?"

"I'm scared." You felt a tear drip past your nose.

"Of what?"

You pushed yourself away from your angel and pointed over to the painting, which faced the opposite direction.

"It's for you." You whispered, lowering your head. "I've never shown any of my art to anybody before, you know that. Except for my parents. The day I did, they ripped my drawings up. I was so proud of them and excited to show them, I thought, maybe they would think better of me if I did-" your voice broke and you let out a sob. Castiel took your hand and sat you down on the bed, kneeling in front of you. "They called me a disappointment, and-" You took gasping breaths. "The same night, somebody broke into the house and set it on fire. My parents both died and I escaped, that's when I met Bobby."

Castiel reached up and wiped away your tears.

"I would never judge you, or hurt you."

"You can go over and look now." You sniffled, tilting your head towards the canvas stand. Castiel stood up and walked over. You looked down, too nervous to see his reaction.

There was a silence that seemed to last an eternity.

Next thing you knew, your angel was kissing you passionately, holding you close. When you broke apart, you saw that he had tears in his eyes. You were pretty shocked that Cas was showing emotion.

"It's my Heaven-" he spoke slowly. "It's beautiful Y/n. No words can describe how talented you are. Never let anyone tell you that you aren't good enough. Because you are perfect the way you are."

You gave him a watery smile and he wiped away your tears once more.

"I love you, Cas."

"Love you too, Y/n."