Chapter Seventeen- I Don't Care If You're Sick

Lia’s POV

I had been laying in bed for several days, feeling awful. It was hard for me to breathe, and I had no energy. I refused to eat, which contributed to the no-energy dilemma. I was miserable.

I don’t know why Vic still came over, just to watch me groan and grumble about being sick. I looked terrible, on top of it all. I had no motivation to put on makeup or do my hair, much less get dressed. But Vic stayed by my side, putting up with me in my grumpy state; bringing me flowers, making me soup, baking me cookies…. I didn’t deserve him.

On the fourth day of me being bed-ridden, Vic opened the door to my bedroom with a bright smile. “Hey, your parents aren’t home.” He said it in such a way that had implications, as though I was supposed to know what that meant. I nodded slowly, “Yeah… so ?” He jumped onto the bed next to me. “So, we’re going on a walk !” I looked at him like he was crazy, “Vic….what ?” Vic played with my hair, “Yeah, I’m going to walk, and you’re going to get pushed in your wheelchair. You could use some fresh air.” I looked down, somewhat ashamed. “I don’t think I can get up….” He kissed my forehead, swooping me up in his arms. “Not a problem.”

He placed me in my wheelchair, setting me up with a cozy blanket and some tea before we began our journey. The cool air felt great on my burning skin, and I instantly felt better. Vic pushed me along the side of the road, the sun sinking low on the horizon. It was hard to believe tomorrow was December; soon it would be my first Christmas here. Vic pulled my chair to a stop, then turned it to face an open field. I took a deep breath- the view was spectacular. Rare fog hung low over the golden grass there, lingering rays of sunlight shining through it, casting an eerie glow around the whole thing.

Vic played with strands of my hair again, standing behind me. “I saw this and I couldn’t let you miss it.” “It’s beautiful,” I breathed. He kissed my head, “So are you.”

“Help me up.” I said, setting my tea cup on the ground and removing my blanket. “Are you sure babe…?” Vic seemed hesitant, but I was already clutching his arm and attempting to stand. I took a shaky step, the first one in days. He slipped his arm around my waist supporting me. We stumbled forward awkwardly, through the tall grass and into the middle of the field. It was amazing- dew drops seemed to hang suspended through the air, lit up by the sunlight. It was like standing in the middle of a cloud during the sunset. Vic twirled me around, giggling. I pulled him in for a kiss, his tongue slipping into my mouth, teasing me. I tugged on his lip, teasing him back. He pulled away, pouting, “No fair. You can’t do that to me.” I shook my head, “Watch me.” He grinned wickedly and started tickling me, then took off in the fog.

I tried to stumble after him, but I couldn’t move all that fast. I couldn’t even see where he went in the fog….It was almost as if he had disappeared. I called out to him “Vic ? It’s not funny anymore.” Still no sign of him. I think he thought I was joking just to win, but I was serious, and I was starting to get panicked.

“Vic ?” Nothing.

I forged on, hoping I was in the right direction. But my weak muscles and the lack of energy caught up with me, and I collapsed onto my knees at the edge of the field. I crawled a few steps, meekly calling out for my boyfriend. He suddenly appeared beside me, “Oh my God, Lia ?” I shook my head at him, struggling to catch my breath. He picked me up bridal style, rushing me over to my wheelchair, he handed me my stuff, then prepared to rush back to my house. My breathing became even more labored, and my vision was starting to cloud. My tea cup crashed out of my hand and spilled as I wobbled, on the verge of passing out. Vic must have decided my wheelchair wouldn’t be fast enough, and he picked me up and ran all the way back to my house, with me clutching his t-shirt for dear life.

He busted through my front door, with me still in his arms, and headed straight for the phone. He set me on the counter and dialed 911. He sounded so broken, so fragile, you would have thought he was the one sick. He caressed my face and murmured to me as we waited for the ambulance. “Just hold on baby, hold on.” He called my parents and informed them of what was happening, and I struggled to comprehend what he was saying. The world was a fuzzy blur, not making much sense to me at the moment. I felt the blood run down my face as it leaked out of my nose, and the only noise I could hear now was my own breathing, too shallow for comfort.

And then my heartbeat, weak, slow, and then…not there at all.

“Don’t wonder why people go crazy, wonder why they don’t; in the face of what we can lose in a day, in an instant, wonder what the hell makes us hold it all together.”