Chapter One- It's Harder Breathing Next To You

“Bye mom, I’m going on a walk !” I called, walking out the front door of my new home. I had just moved to San Diego with my parents, all the way from Ohio. I wanted to do some exploring in the new city before I was trapped in school all day. The late Sunday afternoon sun shone brightly, the wind whipping my hair wildly. I tried not to think too much about why we had moved here, but I still couldn’t shake the thought away. The reason we moved all the way across the US was to be near one of the best hospitals in the country. I had been sick for about two years now, and none of the doctors could figure out what was plaguing me. I had frequent nosebleeds and black outs, coupled with “disturbed thoughts” and anxiety. My parents hoped to get a diagnosis for me here, or at the very least be close to a good medical center in case something should happen to me. I hadn’t minded moving, it wasn’t like I had friends back in Ohio. I wasn’t pretty, I wasn’t sporty, and I wasn’t super-smart. I didn’t fit in anywhere, I was just kind of…there. Maybe now that I was living in California, things would be different.

Maybe not.

I was so lost in my thoughts that I hadn’t realized how far I’d wandered. I was standing in the middle of a completely empty field, with no one around and no signs of life in sight. The only movement came from the tall grass whipping around my legs. I pulled out my cell phone- no reception. Of course I began to panic, but I pushed on, making my way through the weeds. I stepped in a hole and fell, embarrassed even though I was the only one around. Or so I thought….when I stood back up, glaring at my ripped jeans and bleeding knee, I noticed movement across the field. Four guys were tossing a football around and shoving one another playfully. My heart started pounding, and I wildly looked around for somewhere to go so they wouldn’t see me. There was nothing but open land, so I simply sat down, hoping the tall grass would hide me. I listened to their yelling, becoming nervous as they came closer. But what were the chances of them walking right by me out of the whole field, right ?

Turns out, the chances were very good. I stayed still, looking at my knees as they passed by one after another. I let out a breath, being invisible finally paid off. “Wait !” One of them called to the others. He backtracked until he was right next to me. I looked up sheepishly, he looked concerned. The boy knelt next to me, “Are you okay ?” He had a nose ring, kind brown eyes, and shoulder length curls…in other words, he was ridiculously attractive. I wanted to sink into the Earth, I looked like a huge idiot. I stayed quiet, watching him as he inspected my knee. “I-I’m fine, really. Just uh, continue on.” I motioned toward where his three friends were standing, staring at us like we were aliens. His caramel eyes looked intently into mine “Your nose is bleeding…” “Shit !” My hand flew to my face, and sure enough, my hand came down covered in red. “I’m Vic, by the way.” Vic extended his hand to help me up. I reluctantly stood and started walking away, cursing myself under my breath. “Hey ! Where are you going?” Vic asked. “You’re hurt !” “I’m fine, really.” I insisted, trying to get out of this awkward situation. “You’re going the wrong way,” He said gently, grabbing my arm. “C’mon, we’ll take you somewhere and get you cleaned up.” I finally realized I hadn’t told him my name. “I’m Lia, by the way…” he smiled, and I sucked in a breath. Was this beautiful boy actually talking to me ? He motioned to the tallest of their group, “This is my brother, Mike. That’s Jaime (cute dimples and spiky hair), and that’s Tony (stretched lobes and a shy smile). I simply nodded following behind the group to our unknown destination. I was nervous to be alone with complete strangers in a new state, but they seemed harmless enough. In no time, we were walking along a lonely road, headed toward town. Vic glanced over at me, “How’s the knee ?” I made a so-so motion, limping ever so slightly. Five minutes later, the guys stopped abruptly outside a little coffee shop. “Here we are !”

“What ?” I was confused, why a café ? Vic pulled me inside, “We need to get you cleaned up !” He sat me down at a booth and grabbed some napkins. He came back with them wetted down, and instructed me to prop my leg up. I watched as Vic carefully cleaned the wound on my knee, gentle as can be. “Why are you being so nice to me ?” I blurted out. He looked up at me incredulously, and I blushed deeply. The guys snickered, and I wanted to disappear again. He stood, bowing to me. “My parents raised me right, I know how to treat a pretty girl.”

I looked at the ground and giggled. “Uh…thanks Vic.” He slid in the seat next to me, and we all sat there awkwardly, not saying anything. Finally, Jaime piped up “So, we haven’t seen you around before…” I cleared my throat, “Yeah, I uh, just moved here.” He nodded, “That’s explains it. Where are you going to school ?” I squirmed, “Clairemont High, you ?” Vic smacked my arm excitedly “That’s where we go !” I smiled genuinely at him , at least I would know a few people. “Maybe we’ll have some classes together.” He nodded thoughtfully, suddenly seeming a million miles away.

The guys and I chatted for a while longer, with me growing more comfortable as time wore on. It was almost like something out of a highschool movie, but I was just glad to be making friends. Maybe I really was making a new start. I suddenly remembered that I had to get home, and I checked the time, jumping up. “Crap ! It’s almost time for me to be home !” Jaime, Tony, Mike and Vic rose too, and accompanied me out. I stopped outside the shop, “Uh, guys ? I don’t know how to get back home.”