Chapter Eleven- Take Me Home

Lia’s POV        

Everything but Vic had faded away. The only thing I heard was his voice and the only thing I felt was his touch. Since he had said I love you, the only color I saw was his – a dark crimson.

Vic never stopped talking, he just continued on like I was still with him. He would tell me about the guys, about new lyrics he was writing, about school, about his day….I wanted so desperately to reply, or even just to thank him, but there was no way. His presence made me feel like I wasn’t alone, and I was forever grateful for that.

But all the time, I was wishing that I could have one of our nights together back. Just rewind to the first night he spent with me, or maybe when he had told me about his cutting, so that I could have told him my real secret back then. I longed for his lips on mine again, and the feeling that came with it. I just wanted to be able to tell him how much he means to me…I had taken that right for granted, and now I might not get the chance.

It had been a week and my state still hadn’t changed. The pained cries from my parents and the begging from my friends told me that it wasn’t my time. I needed to snap out of this, but the question was, how ? I doubted that true love’s first kiss was going to bring me back in real life, so that wasn’t an option. This was something I need to do for myself, because literally, my life depended upon it.

The harder I tried to move, the faster the colors swirled. Pale blue and silver, twinkling like water at dawn. I was getting closer….the color of the living was a vibrant, cerulean blue with a dash of white, comparable to a brilliant summer sky. I focused on trying to twitch my fingers, maybe grasp the blanket or wiggle my IV, anything to feel. I was alone in the room for once, so this was my shot. I needed to prove myself, to do this on my own and escape from this. I was tired of being the sick girl, it was time to break through and become something stronger than that.

A wiggle. Just a small movement, but it was there. I could feel again.

I was feeling the scratchy blanket on top of me, slowly rubbing it between my fingers. This was it, this was my way out.

Snap;  colors burst, and I was back to reality.

I’m back.

The first blink was like being born again. My eyes registered the bright white of the hospital, and the exact state I was in. Tubes and wires covered my arms and chest, and I began to panic. No one else was in sight, I was the only one witnessing my personal miracle. I, Lia Chancellor came back from the dead.

I pondered who to call first- my parents, my doctors, or Vic… The decision was made for me when my doctor burst through the door, stopping dead in her tracks and staring at me. “Hi,” I croaked out.

She placed her hand over her heart, “Lia ! They didn’t tell me you’re awake !” I chuckled nervously, “I just woke up. Uh, surprise !” She smiled hugely and held her finger up, then exited the room. I heard her talking with someone, “I was going to make you wait until I’d finished my exam, but I thought you’d wanna see this.” The doctor opened the door to reveal my parents, and I’ll never forget the way their faces lit up. After much hugging and squealing and crying, I asked if my friends could come visit me. My doctor and my parents exchanged glances, “I don’t think it’s a good idea to have too much excitement right now.” “Just one friend ?” I pleaded. I looked to the doctor, and she consented after little convincing.  “Who’s it gonna be ?” My dad joked, knowing full well it was Vic. I was already dialing his number.

He sounded tired when he picked up, although it was five o’clock on a Saturday. He didn’t believe it was me at first, and I had a hell of a time trying to convince him. He hung up without warning, only to appear in the door of my room less than ten minutes later, panting. His eyes lit up like a kid on Christmas morning, and he stared for a moment before rushing over to me, kneeling next to my bed. He kissed my hand, “LIIIIIAAA ! I missed you, I missed you, I missed you !” I patted his head playfully, “Hey, long time no see there, Vicky !” His caramel eyes met mine, and our smiles faded. I could see the sadness there, the true pain he had felt during the time I was away. I felt so guilty, but I was afraid to apologize. I just wanted to relish in the moment, and forget about the horror I call my life.

Twenty minutes later, and I was out of bed for the first time in a week. I sat in a wheelchair, blissfully unattached from wires and machines, except for an IV stand. I watched the nurse strip and make my bed, fidgeting around in my chair. I had begged and pleaded for them to take me outside, and they agreed to let Vic wheel me out there for fifteen minutes. Vic came back into the room for an extra blanket for me and draped it over my legs. He carefully adjusted the IV wire and then proceeded to push me out of the room. It felt great to get out of the confines of the room, not to mention my own body. I can’t describe how good the air felt when it hit my face. Vic parked the wheelchair, then walked around in front of me. Without a word, he grabbed my face in his hands and pressed his lips to mine.

The kiss was sweet with longing and grief, with just a touch of ‘it’s been way too long’. He pulled away, and I frowned. “Bust me out, let’s just leave right now.” He shook his head, “Ah, you don’t know how tempting that sounds.” He stroked my cheek, his eyes sad. I threw my blanket off, standing up shakily. “Let’s go !” “No !” Vic grabbed my waist. “Lia, please sit back down right now !” He looked panicked and afraid, but the urge to get away was too overwhelming for me. I glanced at the hospital doors as if I was looking at something, and he followed my gaze, just as I’d planned. I ripped my IV out painfully and took off at an odd, off balance sprint. I was hauling ass, probably looking ridiculous in my plaid flannel pajama pants and hospital gown. “Lia !” Vic whisper-yelled at me. I slowed my pace when I reached the grass on the side of the hospital, out of breath and feeling awful. I sank down to my knees, struggling for breath. Vic appeared beside me, terrified. He held me by the waist, helping me to stand up, then scooped me up in his arms, bridal style. I leaned my head on his chest, and he carried me back to my wheelchair. He set me down, getting me situated. Vic checked me up and down thoroughly, trying to be sure that I was fine. He brushed my hair out of my face, sighing my name. He started pacing in front of me, rubbing at his face. “Damnit !” He kicked a trash can, causing me to jump and shrink away. He looked at me, his tone serious. “Lia. Please, please, don’t ever do that again. You could get…hurt again. I’m supposed to protect you…I…I can’t stand to lose you again.” He whispered the last part, his voice cracking a little. He walked until he was right in front of me,

 “Don’t you see ? I love you.”

“Their eyes met, and in those few silent moments, he told her everything. He told her that she was the most astonishing thing he had ever encountered. He told her that she haunted his waking hours, and that every feeling, every experience he had had in his life up to that point was flat and unimportant compared to the enormity of this.”