Chapter Twelve- I'll Throw My Arms Around You, Darling

Lia’s POV

His eyes stared straight into me, piercing me. Vic loved me.

He loved me.

The doctor emerged, spoiling my moment. “What happened ?!” She gaped at the blood dripping from my arm and the IV on the ground. I cleared my throat, “Uh, the IV got stuck under the wheel somehow and it pulled out….” She nodded and got behind me, wheeling me back in. “We’ll get that fixed up right away.” I glanced back at Vic, where he stood in the same spot, staring after me solemnly.

I was discharged from the hospital late Monday evening, and I couldn’t have been happier to get home. I was wheelchair bound for another week though, and I wasn’t allowed to go to school. Apparently a week in a coma equaled a lot of ‘taking it easy.’ In my mind, the coma was the ‘taking it easy’ part. But I was home, and that was all that mattered.

Vic seemed troubled by something the past few days, but he insisted he was fine. Again, we went through the same cycle of pretending that we didn’t kiss. Neither of us even acknowledged the “I love you”, although it was definitely the elephant in every room. On Tuesday, we sat together in my room, trying to finish my heap of schoolwork. I threw my pencil down, sighing. Vic looked up from where he was staring intently at one of my papers. “You okay Lia ?” I sighed, “No.”

He stood up, “Are you in pain ?” His eyes widened, searching for an answer. I looked up at him from my wheelchair, slowly standing. “I’m sorry, okay Vic ?” I’m sorry that I never told you that I have something wrong with me. I’m sorry that I make your life so complicated, I’m sorry for everything I put you through, I’m sorry that I tried to run from the hospital….I’m just sorry, alright ?” I moved to my bed, sitting down with my back against the wall. I expected him to leave, free from his obligations with the sick girl- but he stayed.

He sat down on the side of the bed in front of me. “Is that what you think ?” He asked quietly. He looked out the window, refusing to meet my eyes. “Is that what I made you think ? Lia, I- I…I never thought that. I wasn’t mad because you didn’t tell me, I was mad because that happened to you. And you didn’t put me through anything…I wanted to be there for you. It was my choice, please, please don’t blame yourself.” I scooted down next to him, wrapping my arms around him. He pulled me into his lap, and I moved until I was straddling him. Vic pulled me into a hug, and my arms went around his neck. I buried my face in his shoulder, breathing in his scent. I pulled back, kissing him softly. His lips latched around mine, and he laid back on my bed with me on top of him.

In a swift movement, Vic had moved and I was now underneath him. He started kissing down my neck, driving me crazy. His lips found the spot between my throat and my collarbone, planting quick kisses there. His hand rested on my hip, and mine were thrown around his shoulders. “Lia,” He murmured into my skin. I pulled away for a second “Yea ?” he didn’t reply, instead, lips teased around mine, refusing to let me overpower him. Vic bit my lip softly, then gave me one last, sweet kiss. He stood up, grinning down at me where I was sprawled out on the bed, frowning at him. “Victor get back here.” I patted the spot next to me. He merely smiled, grabbing my hand and pulling me to my feet as well. “We-*kiss*- have homework to do.”

That same night, around nine o’clock, long after the homework had been given up, Vic was still over. We lay tangled together under my sheets, half asleep. His hand held mine, and my head lay on his chest. His heartbeat was the most beautiful sound to me, and it comforted me in the darkness. Normally my parents would object to us being in bed together in the dark, but with my illness came perks. Plus, we had put in a long day of homework, so there was that.

My door opened “Vic, time to go.” I blinked my eyes open, glaring at my dad. “Sorry princess, it’s a school night.” He closed the door and left. Vic gathered his things, and I lay watching him. I crossed the room, meeting him near the door. He picked me up and spun me around in a hug, muttering goodbyes into my shoulder. He reached for the door handle. “Vic.” Bright eyes looked back at me expectantly.

“I love you too.”

“What do I do when I am so in love with you ?” ~ You Me At Six