Chapter 17

I had a plan. An actual, feasible plan that might I be able accomplish. It's a nice change to the blank idea slate that I had been thinking of.
I swing by the kitchen as my first plan of action. I've never been back there, but it's a spacious area with servants bustling around the crowded tables and stoves. Keeping out of the way, I prepare a picnic dinner of turkey, pickled beets, bread, some soup that one of the servant girls gave me, cheese, and chocolate chip cookies- that I proudly made.
My second step was to send a servant to deliver a message. Finally, I called Shaykh to my room and had her help me prepare. She fixed my hair up in a nice updo, pulled out the perfect navy blue gown with silver and sapphire jewelry. I checked on my necklace and ring before I left. They were both still turning to stone with no signs of any reversal.
I head to the stables with my picnic dinner in hand. Valda is in her stall eating hay when I approach her.
"Hey girl. We're going to go somewhere and I need us to do this better than last time."
I saddle her and manage to mount her without dropping my basket or falling over. Nudging her gently in her side, we take off into the woods, but venture down a different path than the one before. I can't help but feel uneasy in these woods, but brush it off.
We arrive in a small meadow with the forest at our back, but with a clear view ahead. The sky is unobscured so I can see the beautiful rich colors of the sunset that'll soon be upon us.
Setting down a blanket I brought along, I unpack the basket of its contents. I also brought some candle for when it got dark. After tying Valda to a nearby tree and handing her an apple, I wait on the blanket and stare into the horizon.
After waiting for a little bit, I lie back and take in the breathtaking sky above me. Memories of picnics with my parents fill my mind and play like a slide show. I don't even realize I've fallen asleep until I wake up to the sound of approaching hooves.
If my plan was going work like I wanted it to, I'd have to try my hardest not to give myself away. So I try to put on my best smile and greet him.
"Hey. I was worried that you wouldn't be able to find me." I add in a more light and cheerful voice.
"Think I can manage to find a location." He snaps.
"Ok, so he's clearly still pissed at me." I needed to relieve the tension if this was going to work to my advantage.
"I just thought eating out in the open would be much better than staying inside like we always do." I explain as I plate the food. "Don't you want to sit down."
He's leaning against a nearby tree not even looking my way.
"I'm fine."
"But that kind of defeats the purpose of having a picnic." I say maintaining my light, cheerful voice.
After that he gives me the cold shoulder. "Just keep having patience with him, Mal. Patience is key."
"I made the cookies myself so they're probably really good."
Nothing. He's looking out into the approaching sunset.
"I never realized the sunsets here were this beautiful. I love the warm colors, they really make it-"
"Mallory." His tone is sharp as it cuts me off. "I realize you must love to ramble nonsense whenever you can, but I can't hear myself think over your noise."
"Oh, so you can think. Here I was wondering if could you even function like a normal human being." I say with mocked surprise.
Yeah, patience is not my strong suit.
"Why did you invite me out here." He finally looks at me with narrowed eyes, pushing off the tree.
"I don't know seeing how I'm mostly talking to a wall."
"Maybe I don't want to hear anything you have to say."
I couldn't help myself from falling back into the anger again. "Why? Because I'm right about you? That you're just a tyrant who doesn't want to save his people because you're unusually cruel to them anyway?"
Not responding, Xalale storms off, but I'm quicker- surprisingly- and catch him by the arm.
"I'm right about you and you know it."
He was seething but I could care less. I knew what he was and I wanted him to know that. He was a coward for turning his back on his kingdom, on his people.
"Why won't you help your people when they need you the most?"
"Because maybe I can't control it!"
I was shocked that he yelled at me so my grip on his arm loosened, making it easy for him to break away and storm over to Atlas. I don't know why this depletes all of my recent rage, but a wave of guilt and regret crash over me. He's already taken off before I can stop him.
"Goodbye perfectly sketched out plan."
"Come on Valda." I mount her, not lingering on the thought of me losing control of her again. We take off in a burst of speed, heading into the woods, which create shadows by the setting sun.
I pull back on Valda's reins as I approach Xalale from behind.
"Xalale." As Valda falls into step with Altas, I try to get his attention, but he won't even look my way.
I finally sigh and make a daring move.
"Hey." I reach across and pull back on Altas' reins. The horse comes to a halt along with Valda. "Talk to me. Please."
He stares straight ahead not saying a word.
My updo has come loose, leaving my hair in a wild mess and I'm breathing shallow even though Valda did all the work.
"I can't." It's spoken between clenched teeth but I understand it.
"You can't what?"
The night sounds of the forest fill the silence. Soft chirps mixed with the hum of whatever bird or frog was still up. The night air was settling around us, chilly and crisp, but my skin felt like it was on fire.
"I can't be weak."
He finally meets my gaze, but only for a second before looking up at the night sky obscured by the treetops.
"Why would you be weak?" I ask concern lining my face.
"These powers make me weak."
"Why? Shouldn't they make you stronger."
Atlas begins to go at a leisurely pace and I order Valda to start as well.
"They have never made me stronger. I've never had full control over my...abilities. With this threat on the rise, I seem to be losing control of them and I don't know how to keep them concealed."
"You looked like you had control of them when you...when you- uh..."
"That was out of anger." He says shaking his head. "It wasn't perfect by any means."
I shudder a little at the unpleasant memory of the two guards being choked to death. That moment will never get washed from my mind.
"Have you ever asked for help?" My mom always told me to ask for help no matter how big my ego was.
"Its rare that anyone possesses this power, its even more rare that someone will know how to use these powers."
"Oh." We travel in silence for a few seconds before I speak up. "Have you tried practicing with your abilities."
"No."
The answer surprises so much I would have stopped in my tracks if I was walking.
"What do mean no? You should try to use your abilities and build them up so you can control them-"
"Why would I use a power that's dangerous, its something I want to conceal not practice. Its something that'll make everyone fear me."
"Like they don't do that already!?" I don't snap at him, but I'm confused.
"It would different than the fear I already demand from my subjects."
I was missing something; this part was just not adding up. He was hiding something, but I know he won't let it slip too easily.
"Well, it sounds like its controlling you rather you controlling it." I say.
"I just want it to be gone."
"Maybe you needed it for this moment. Maybe the reason your different is because of this threat."
He doesn't sound as sure. "I can't control it. I'll find another way."
"What if there is no other way?" I say desperately.
We make it back to the meadow where the last rays of the sunset are receding. Countless stars are filling the deep blue sky of night. My candles create a warm feel where the picnic lies.
"You don't have to do this alone." I say. "If it makes a difference, I'll help you."
There's a momentary silence before he responds.
"Thank you."
"It's no problem." I reply casually.
We dismount and return to the blanket.
"Are you finally going to sit on the blanket?" I ask.
"Perhaps."
He does and I serve out the dinner I'd prepare. It feels so familiar and welcoming to sit under the stars. They twinkle endlessly, in and out, in and out. I remember to make a wish- a wish to return home.
"So you use to do this when you were younger?" He ask.
"Yeah, it was a lot of fun. My family still does it sometimes during the summer and spring. We even did it for Easter one time. We had a great time." I lounge on the blanket, looking up at the stars.
The forest sounds are a melody to my ears as it rings on unwavering behind us.
"Mallory?"
"Hm?" My eyes are closed as I dream of soaring through the diamond studded sky.
"You remember the night I came to the dining hall upset?"
"Yeah." I'm fly through the gases that are our stars. Blue, green, red, they're all varying in different sizes and temperatures.
"I never told you why I was upset that night. It was because I lost something very valuable to me and I know I didn't lose it because I always place it in the same area every time."
Higher and higher I soared through the galaxy, almost home, almost home to Cauldron.
"Maybe you've seen it? It was a ring, a silver ring with a blue gemstone in the middle."
Going through the Milky Way and passing Pluto so far out from the rest of the- wait. Ring!? I'm transported back to the present and slammed back into reality.
I sit up so quickly that the world before me is spin, but the words are already tumbling out.
"Wha!? You said a ring!? A blue and- a silver with-" I was falling all over myself.
"You saw it before?" There's interest in his voice.
"Yeah, yeah. I have it." I say excitedly.
"Why?" The tone of his voice makes my excitement fade as it's replaced with slight embarrassment.
"Uh..."
"I knew I should've left it there. It had to have been his."
"I need it back." He doesn't seem too upset at me, which makes me believe he doesn't know.
"Uh...yeah, but there's a problem." I begin cautiously.
"What?" He presses.
"Yeah, um, you see the ring is- well it's kind of turning..." I continue nervously.
"Turning to what?" He's becoming impatient so I decide to spill the beans.
"The ring is...turning to...stone."