Chapter 6

My mind was blank as all I was trying to do was stay upright. Watching my steps because if I had one faulty footing, then I would be dragged until I could pick myself up again.
The men didn't slow down even when I begged them to. After awhile I shut up and was trying to formulate a plan of escape. But I found that impossible seeing how they wouldn't slow down and both my hands were tightly tied. My best chance of escape would be once we stopped, until then I have to keep up.
We traveled for a few hours. The roads weren't the best to travel on foot though. Broken branches laid in the narrow, twisty roads, we went through the woods, even the dense parts where I nearly tripped over numerous tree stumps and logs. Once we return to a normal dirt road, I could see between the treetops, a dark looming castle.
I've always imagined castles to be beautiful, breathtaking treasures. This castle is the kind that not even Disney villains would take residency in.
As we reach the castle doors, I realize my chance to escape is near. All I have to do is loosen the rope while we're stopped momentarily then run as fast as I can into the woods.
Yes, more running. But I don't know how I'm going to do it seeing how most of my energy is gone due to the long journey here. I just have to hope I'm fast enough.
But unfortunately, I don't have the chance to find out if I am, because we don't even stop for even a minute before the doors open and I'm dragged into the castle.
I begin to thrash and kick again hoping they'll let their guard down for a second. But instead I get another punch in the stomach and another fist to my already bloody nose. This time I give up completely.
We make our way down a spiral stone staircase to a damp, poorly lit dungeon. Before I know it I'm thrown into a small, smelly jail cell- the rope around my wrist aren't even cut off. I'm left there in the dark, cold, cramp dungeon cell listening to the endless bloodcurdling screams of other prisoners.
"How did I even get here? I wanted to be the stupid hero who stands up."
"No. This all started even before my stupid stand." I facepalm myself. "This all started with you falling through a magical, time transporty thing. All for a cheap worn out necklace."
I inspect the bent necklace hanging around my neck.
"I just want to go home." I whisper frustratingly.
"I wanna go home too." A small voice speaks out through the tortured screams. I'm surprised I even heard it.
A young girl (or at least I think it's a girl) looks at me through the jail bars next to me. She's filthy and the clothes she wears are too big for her and are completely torn. Her right eye is bruised, bloody, and swollen shut. She only looks about eight or nine.
"I wanna go home too." She repeats. The look she gives me is a hazy, dead eyed stare. "When will we go home?"
"I don't know." I answer.
"Are you scared?"
"I don't know." I respond honestly. I don't know what I should be afraid of but I kind of am at the same time.
She rest her head against the rusty bars and looks at the cold cobblestone ground.
"Do you know what's going to happen to us?"
I decide to give a more optimistic answer this time. "Maybe they'll let us go."
"No they won't."
Her voice is so dead, so cold. I don't say anything else and the screams surround us again.
"Do you know why they scream?"
I look up at her again.
"Do you know what they're terrified of?" She ask still in her same position.
I don't answer her. I can't be sure why they scream like that, in the documentaries I watched, even in prisons back at home don't scream as horrid as this prisoners.
"They scream because they know what their fate is." Her deadpan eyes glance up at me then droop back down.
A sudden shiver runs down my back at the ominous tone used.
"Calm down, calm down. I get myself into messes, I can get myself out."
But this was bigger than any of my previous goof ups before. I tune out everything around me and try to think of happy things. I think of Cauldron and my trailer house and parents. I even think about the naughty Richards children. But all that doesn't distract from the dirty, dark cell I'm in and the trouble I've caused.
I look up to hear the door to my cell being opened and a guard pulling me off the floor and out of the cell. He doesn't say anything to me and just drags me with an iron grip toward the spiral staircase.
I glance back at the cell where the little girl still stares at the ground. She doesn't move or make any sounds even as I leave the cell. I lose sight of the girl as we head up the steps.
◆◆◆
I'm dragged through the castle's many hallways and I lost track of the floor we were on. Turns out the inside of the castle is just as dark, if not more, than the exterior. It certainly was clear that the king of this castle fancies bones as a decoration. The only thing is I'm not sure if the bones are real or not.
I'm shoved into small circular room with a single open window. The guard finally breaks his silence to briefly tell me,"Wait here",then leave.
Of course my first thought is to check the window to see if I could possibly escape through there. I can tell I'm on the highest floor seeing how far we are from the ground. Plus the window was too small for me to fit through anyway.
Standing in the center of the room, the reality of the moment hits me like a ton of bricks. Panic and fear begin to run through my system as I think of what may happen to me.
"This isn't a dream. I'm going to- I don't even know what's going to happen to me. The guy said that the king loathes traitors. I'm not a traitor, I'm not even from here, I'm not even suppose to be here."
I nearly shit myself when I hear the door creaking open. Like a child, I squeeze my eyes shut and try to believe I'm not there.
"Ironic it would you."
I slowly open my eyes but train them on the ground. I can see someone standing in front on me, but I still don't look up.
"You didn't acknowledge me as a god. Why?"
The person begins to slowly circle around me. I know I can't make a break for it even though the door is right there.
"Because you're not a god."
"Stop talking! You're only digging yourself deeper." I don't know why I even said anything.
"And how would you know that?" The person's tone isn't like I thought it be. I thought there would be anger or enraged. But instead it was eerily calm and collected, maybe that's why I answered back.
"Because, there's really only one God." I answer cautiously.
The person stops near my left side. I'm frozen in place with fearful anticipation.
"Yes, and that god would be me."
I don't know why I suddenly remembered that voice, but I quickly look up. Sure enough it's the same guy I met at the dried up well. The same one who I kissed.
"You!"
"Takes you awhile to remember a voice?"
I take a step back. "Uh, no I just..."
"I just what?"
I don't know what to say so, rightly, for the first time I don't say anything.
"You give excellent advice yesterday, but won't worship me as a god." It was more of a statement than a question.
"If you were a god why would you need my advice?"
"For the love of God, shut up!"
I'm praying he won't become angry with me for that response, but anger doesn't seem to be part of his emotional vocabulary. He just gives me this amused look.
"That is very true." He steps closer to me causing me to back up again. "I never did get your name."
"Mallory."
"Lovely name. I would be honored if you would join me for dinner."
"Um..."
I'm wondering what will happen if I decline. He's been nothing but calm and collected in his demeanor even when we met by the well. I told him that I didn't think he was a god and he didn't flip out.
"I'm not sure...my friends will be worried about me-" I'm trying to smoothly talk my way out of this alive.
Cutting me off, he frowns and seems to be examining my bloody nose. "What happened to your face?"
"I was hit." I tell him truthfully.
"Who hit you?"
"I don't really know. These two guys who arrested me, there was also this other guy. But I don't really know for sure."
He looks out the window and appears to be thinking, after a second he turns and heads for the door.
"I'll see you at dinner. Somebody will help you clean up before then." And just like that he leaves.
"What just happened?"
Did I say 'yes' and secretly not know it.
"So much for smooth talking my way out of this."
The door opens again and a guard comes in and escorts me out. He guides me to a bedroom where he leaves me all alone.
I'm not alone for long though, before a young woman comes in with a beautiful black ball gown. She doesn't say anything to me, just moves around the room working with a solemn expression on her face. She disappears into another room off to the right, then comes back out and take me by the hand and pulls me with her.
The room is a bathroom and she filled the tub with warm water. I back away when she begins to undress me and she gives me a confused look.
"Uh, I can do it, thank you though."
She nods understandably and leaves the bathroom.
I take a quick bath, washing off the blood, dirt, and sweat from my body. All the while I try to come up with a plan to escape. I know I can't escape though, because I don't know the layout of the castle or the surrounding woods. I'll attend dinner then just ask to leave. Foolproof right?
"Probably not."
The young woman comes back once I'm done and helps me dress in the black gown. It looks pretty by itself, but me and the color black just do not mix. I always end up appearing paler than I really am and I look like some depressed Goth chick.
The woman works silently while fixing my hair into a Greek goddess braid. She hands me a mirror to inspect the work. It's not a bad style on me and since I'm so use to seeing my hair in a ponytail or a wild mess, it's refreshing to see something new.
"Thank you. It's very pretty." I tell her.
She just nods and goes to retrieve a box. Inside the box is a set of jewelry. Gold and black dangling earrings, necklace, and bracelet. I put on the bracelet and she helps me with the earrings, but I stop her when she tries to take off my bent, silver necklace.
"I'm fine keeping this one on." I tell her.
I don't really know why I want to keep the necklace on. Maybe because it reminds me of my mission to get home. But whatever the reason, I don't want to take it off.
"The king wanted you to wear this. His orders." She replies.
I grudgingly take off the bent necklace and instead wear the black and gold one. I make sure to put my necklace somewhere safe.
After I'm done, a guard comes to escort me to dinner. I'm a bit nervous and am practicing the bad habit of playing with my fingers.
"It's only one dinner. I can do this. Just act natural."
Simple, right?