Chapter 5

I wander through the woods searching for the village for probably an hour or two. A small part of me is proud that I managed to find my way back.
The scene at the well fades in my mind as I reach Elle's house. I'm hoping there's someone at home, but I immediately regret that wish once I enter the house.
"Mallory!" Elle jumps off the couch and crushes me in a hug. "Where were you? I was so scared. We looked everywhere for you."
I touched me that even though she didn't know me for a long time she cares about me. It actually nearly brings tears to my eyes. That is until Coxen comes in.
"Where were you!?" His tone is not so touching. "You can't run off like that, it's dangerous."
"I'm fine, really. I just went a little too far into the woods." I explain calmly.
"I told you not to travel too far from the village." He throws his arms up in frustration.
"Coxen, it was just a mistake, she's fine, everything's good now." Elle says quietly.
Rubbing the bridge of his nose, Coxen sighs and gives me an apologetic look. "I'm sorry Mallory. I didn't mean to scold you like that. I guess I'm just so use to protecting people. We were both really worried about you."
"It's ok. I actually appreciate your concern and I shouldn't have run off so far. I'm sorry."
Elle gives a sigh of relief and Coxen relaxes a bit.
"Can I ask a question though? Why were you so scared about me?"
I apparently ask the wrong question again and they both become ridged again.
"People who don't stay in their place, they get dealt with- publicly. That's how things work around here. I don't want to scare you, but just try to be as transparent as possible. And stay out of the woods."
Transparency and me, we were pretty much the same thing. But it disturbs me how frightened the two them become about certain things.
"Ok." I say quietly.
The rest of the day is spent cleaning the house and wandering about the village. Turns out Portar and the other kids were punished for playing out in the woods for so long. I feel bad since it's my fault and the kids may not like me much anymore because of this.
I do notice that there's some kind of preparation going on in the village. I get excited thinking that maybe a special festival is going to take place soon. That'll be a sight to see. I ask about it at dinner.
"It's nothing, dear." Eudora tells me. "Just a little reminder celebration. You'll have to get up early tomorrow, though. Elle will help you wash up for it."
It seems kind of casual- which is a disappointment since I was hoping for something big- but I still look forward to it. Everyone seems pretty nonchalant about it, so I don't focus too much on it either.
As we get ready for bed, Elle tells me she'll wake me up tomorrow. I fall asleep with no problems since I was running around today. But I hear Elle talking to herself. She's saying weird things like;
"Everything will be fine. They'll come, they'll take, they'll leave. No one will get hurt."
I brush it off and soon drift off into a deep, unbroken sleep.
◆◆◆
The next morning Elle wakes me up as promised and we both get ready for the day. I notice Elle is a bit more quiet and tense than normal, but I don't comment on it.
Eudora helps us draw a hot bath by heating up water in the fireplace. I got to take a bath in a wooden tub. I even used soap handmade by Elle. We bathe outside, which I have to admit is kind of creepy, but Eudora assures me that as long as the makeshift curtains are up I should be fine.
Instead of our usual clothes we get more dull colored, bleak clothes. I wear a dreadful brown dress that feels like sandpaper against my skin.
The one major difference I notice this morning is how down everyone seems to be. Let me change that, they're not down, but more like tense and uneasy. I can sense it in everyone I see. Walking down the street of the village, everyone appears depressed. Even the overcast skies depict a dreadful scene. The town square is dead silent even as it begins to fill.
I look around and see Portar and Myrlard standing with their parents. Portar, who yesterday was so full of energy that he was busting at the seams, now just gives me a weak but worried smile. Mrylard doesn't even look my way.
A growing fear is building in me as I'm now on edge. Even though I've been told this is nothing but a little reminder celebration, I wish I knew what was going on since I'm dying of worry.
Suddenly I feel the warmth of a hand and looking over, Elle gives me a worried but encouraging smile. It's a small jester but it does calm my nerves a bit.
That is until they come.
The three riders come stampeding in like bats out of hell. The crowd tenses up at the sight of them and everyone holds their breathe.
Besides me I can hear Elle reciting her chant.
"Everything will be fine. They'll come, they'll take, they'll leave. No one will get hurt."
One of the men dismount their horse and gives a menacing grimace at the crowd. The other two riders take off down and up the village roads going through houses and looking for something, after a few minutes they come back and also dismount their horses.
These men are the kind of men you would see in a midnight bar. The kind who were convicted of crimes and sentenced to life in prison. Nobody makes a sound.
"Alright, you all know the drill. Offer up your values that you owe and then stand there silent. Anyone violating the rules will be punished."
Once the man is done talking people begin to head to tables and give their 'values'. People gave gold, jewels, silver, money, the things I saw appeared to be of great value and back at home they're treasures. People fill out paper forms confirming their givings then return to their spots.
After the giving of their values are done, the men bag it up.
"Last things last. Bow and pray that your king, your god, will have mercy and patience with you."
Elle tugs my hand.
"When you hear the bell, bow down."
I'm unsure of this, but have no time to think before the ring of the bell. In unity, everyone around me falls to their knees and stays there. I just look down at them like a clueless child.
"Are you deaf bitch? Bow down and pray!" The leader yells.
Though I'm usually not the one to stand out, I discovered I was the only one standing. Elle looks up from the corner of her eye and gives me a pleading expression. I still don't comply.
"Uh...why am I bowing down again?" I ask.
"To praise your god, the king."
"Um, the king can't be God." I still stupidly don't get it. I have some Christian upbringing and I was told not to bow down to anyone but God. I kind of feel like one of those Bible characters who stands up to the corrupt government. Except I'm more clueless and confused.
"Last chance bitch, bow down."
"Mallory please." I heard Elle hiss below me.
I don't know what stupid, stubborn gene kicked in (or that I even had one) but I was feeling defiant.
"No."
The two other men immediately hurry over to where I'm standing. Me being the genius I am, turn to run but trip over someone bowing down behind me. I tumble and the two brutes grab me and pull me to the front.
"Everybody get up. Now!" The leaders booming voice gets the people rising.
I try to break free from the crushing grip I'm in, but fail to do so. I don't even see the fist flying at my face until it make contact. My spirit isn't killed and I continue to thrash and shout at the men to let me go.
"Because of this rebellious individual, you will all pay." Worried murmurs erupt through the crowd.
I see Elle's scared faced in the crowd and guilt ripples through me.
"No! Leave them alone they don't deserve-" I'm cut off by a harder punch to the stomach and another to my face. Blood begins to trickle from my nose and the wind is knocked from my lungs.
Out of the corner of my eye, I see a torch in the other two men's hands, they mounts their horse and ride through the village. One of them sets fire to a big, barn like building. This sends screams and cries throughout the crowd and people begin to run to the growing flames.
"The storehouse! Hurry! Put out the flames!"
"That was their storehouse! Oh God, what have I done?"
Through the commotion, the leader comes up to me and ties me to the back of his horse.
"Oh, you going to wish we'd kill you. You're going to meet the king and I have to warn you, the king loathes traitors." He sneers at me while mounting his horse.
As I'm forced to keep up with the pace of the horse, I look back on the chaotic scene. People running around with buckets of water trying to put out the fire.
In the same position I last saw her, Elle stares at me with the saddest expression I've ever been given. Guilt causes me to finally look away from the destruction I've left in my wake. But I could still make out the words Elle was forming.
"Everything will be fine. They'll come, they'll take, they'll leave. No one will get hurt."