Chapter 40

"Can I take five?" Isabelle said sarcastically. "I'm a little tired."

Ava ignored her and took a step forward. She smiled gently, but Isabelle could see the malice behind it.

"You've come to kill me," she stated. Not a question, but a realization.

Isabelle said nothing but watched Ava as she looked to her feet. "You know, WICKED wasn't always like this."

Isabelle waited for her to continue, a little curious.

"We were good. Searching for a cure for the Flare. But, I suppose, all good things come to an end. Even you. You're going to die here."

Ava lunged then, at Isabelle. She was gripping a pistol behind her back that Isabelle hadn't seen.

Isabelle moved to the right and the shot that Ava fired narrowly missed her head. She pushed Ava back and kicked her in the stomach. The woman cried out and fell backwards. Isabelle reached for her own pistol but the guard must've slipped it and her launcher off of her, because they weren't there anymore.

Isabelle scrambled for the pistol that'd fell after Ava had attacked her. Ava did the same and they reached it at the same time. Isabelle threw an elbow back at Ava that hit her in the stomach. She tried to use the hit as a moment to grab the gun, but somehow Ava was faster. She held the gun up and Isabelle froze mid-reach.

Isabelle watched in frozen fear as Ava placed her finger over the trigger slowly. There seemed to be a moment of complete nothingness, where there was no sound, no senses, just Ava and Isabelle.

"You're going to wish someone had done the job right the first time," Ava said with finality.

And then she pulled the trigger.

***

Minho and Newt ran as fast as they could. They'd managed to escape from the guards by shooting one in the foot and hitting the other with a Launcher. Hopefully they were too far behind to still be on their trail but they couldn't be too safe.

"This way!" Minho ordered.

"No," Newt responded and stopped, looking left and right. "The guard took her this way!"

Minho stopped and looked to Newt. "But there-"

Minho stopped talking immediately. They stared at each other with fearful eyes. A bullet had been fired.

There was no debate this time, they went the way Newt had suggested.

Newt could breathe. He was running at top speed which wasn't as fast as he'd like because of his limp, but he was trying. Who'd been shot? Ava or Isabelle? Newt could only pray it had been Ava. He didn't know what he'd do if it wasn't.

Newt skidded to a stop with Minho at a window that looked into a big room with at least fifty computer screens. He scanned the room for Isabelle and finally saw her laying on the ground. He heart dropped and stopped all together.

Ava was standing next to her with a gun in her hand.

"Minho! Get that bloody door open!" Newt shouted at the boy.

Ava dropped the gun and began to walk away with a small smile on her face. Newt watched as Isabelle turned herself over and reached for the gun. Newt wanted to cry with relief. She was alive!

Isabelle got to the gun and aimed it at Ava's back. She pulled the trigger and the woman shrieked, falling to the ground.

Isabelle pushed herself to her feet with great difficulty and walked over to the woman. Ava was still alive, but barely.

Isabelle had a hand on her stomach and aimed the gun at Ava's head. Ava spat blood at Isabelle and gave a cruel grin.

"I told you that you were going to die in here."

"Yeah, well so are you," Isabelle chuckled weakly and pulled the trigger.

Ava went limp, and was gone.

Isabelle collapsed to the ground and laid on her back, grasping her bleeding side. She didn't hear when Minho and Newt finally shattered the thick glass blocking them. She didn't hear Newt screaming her name and rushing to her side.

But she saw. She saw his desperate face and loving features. She saw how much he meant to her and how much se meant to him. Newt was shaking her, and finally, she listened.

"Stay awake! Okay? You are not leaving me!"

Newt placed a hand over hers and lifted it gently. He sucked in a deep breath at the sight of the bleeding gunshot wound and put his hand back over it. "I-I'm gonna get you help, okay? Don't worry you going to be fine. Do you hear me? Isabelle?"

Isabelle's eyes started slipping shut but Newt brought her back to consciousness. She was so tired. So so tired.

Newt rushed to the door and screamed for help. He didn't care of the guards found him, he just wanted help. Maybe by some miracle someone would save her.

Newt scrambled back to her and knelt by her side once he was sure he'd screamed his lungs out. Tears spilled over his eyes and he held onto her hand like it was a lifeline.

And maybe for him, it was.

"Newt," Isabelle sputtered. "I'm fine, honestly."

"Stop it," Newt shook his head. "You need help."

Isabelle shook her head and furrowed her eyebrows. "Some people aren't meant to be saved, Newt."

Newt recalled what he'd said to Isabelle just the day before, and his mouth hung open, speechless. "No...you Isabelle, you are meant to be saved. You are meant to live. I need you."

Isabelle looked in his eyes, unable to speak. He knew what she was trying to say though, he could see it in her eyes as if she'd spoken it aloud.

I'm sorry.