Chapter 36

Aris twisted at the hem of his shirt nervously. Could he pull this off? What if he messed up? If Ava knew what he was planning? What if she tried to kill him too? She'd already had four doctors removed for suspicion of meddling with Isabelle's syringe and formula. Luckily, she hadn't removed Teresa. None of this would work without her.

Aris tapped at the keyboard in front of him and bit his lip. Well this was the day wasn't it? When they got out? When he'd have to manipulate the Maze?

He looked from his keyboard to the large screen in front of him. He wanted to throw up. He was so sick of watching Isabelle and Newt. Why was everything always about them? What made them so special? Couldn't he be special too?

Pushing a red button on his keyboard, Aris unlocked every Maze door, ready to be opened when they were supposed to close. All it took was another tap of the button from him. Ava would know, eventually, that it was him. But he was hoping that she'd been taken care of by then.

Aris' glance shifted to the security cameras. He watched as Teresa walked silently up to the main control panels doors and waited. He entered the code from where he sat and Teresa smiled sweetly into the camera when the door clicked open. Then she walked quickly inside and then all Aris could do was wait.

He pulled out a bright flashlight Teresa had snuck from the supply closet and held it in his lap. He made sure his finger was on the on switch.

His heart thrummed against his chest quickly and Aris was afraid it might burst through.

Suddenly his computer flashed a warning sign that unauthorized personnel was in the control room, and he grinned. Even if someone else were to see the simple message, it was already too late. They'd never make it in time.

Everything went dark. Aris waited exactly a minute, as he was instructed, before clicking on his flashlight. He listened to the low, slowing electric whir. Everything was shutting down. Everything was being destroyed. Even now, the computers were being overridden with corrupt data as the rest of the important information was being erased forever. They were frying the system.

A minute later, and Aris turned his flashlight on. He made his way out and searched for Ava. This is where things got tricky.

He found her in the control room, as suspected. Teresa had already fled.

"What's going on?" Aris asked innocently and Ava turned to face him, startled.

She shook her head and a hard expression came over her. "I'm not sure. A simple electric malfunction I'm sure. Can I see your light?"

Aris handed her the flashlight and she thanked him.

"Do you want me to evacuate the other boys in preparation of the chance that there's a traitor?"

"Ah, yes please," Ava said and unhooked a wire.

Aris left without another word and held his breath. Here went nothing.

Once he got to the bunk with the boys his age, he pushed in a key to the backup door. No codes or sliding doors this time.

The boys were frightened, some were even crying. Aris didn't blame them. They were a bit younger than he was. Still probably afraid of the dark. And being in a place like this didn't help much.

"Follow me please!" He shouted over the yelling boys. Surprisingly, they all heard him and followed quickly.

He led them passed the bunker where he was originally supposed to go by Ava's orders. He instead took them outside and to the cover of some nearby trees. He was surprised a little at a beautiful meadow that was resting in the middle of the trees. A blanket hung from a tree limb and he wondered how long ago that was put there.

He waited with the scared boys until Teresa came around with the Burg. The loud engine and giant fans were bound to attract someone's attention, so they had to be quick. Aris loaded every one of the boys on and turned back. He ran into WICKED again and wished so badly he could go with them. With them to Paradise.

Teresa had left the rest to the pilot they'd paid off. She jumped off and sprinted back into WICKED with Aris.

This was the beginning of the end.