Chapter 32

Isabelle smashed the beetle-blade against the bark of the tree and turned to face Newt.

His mouth hung open and he looked from her to the beetle-blade. "What in the bloody heck was that?"

"It was a camera."

"Oh so you declaring war on people is just a normal thing then," Newt said and shrugged.

"Look WICKED needs to be taken down and once I get out of here, that's fully what I plan to do. They have to be stopped. Newt," Isabelle said and stepped closer. "They're getting more kids. Testing them. Like they did with us and I can't just let that go."

Newt thought for a moment. "Then I'll help you. You're right. No one should have to go through that."

Isabelle nodded and then Alby stepped up.

"Hi there, Isabelle. My name is Alby and I'm-"

"I remember you," Isabelle chuckled.

Albys face went red and his smile dropped. "You remember everything?"

"Not everything, there's still holes. Like what Minho used to call me and there was something about Chuck..."

Newt took her hand. "Minho calls you Princess, for who knows what reason. And Chuck is your brother."

"Oh!" Isabelle exclaimed and Newt squeezed her hand. He knew she was remembering from her far off look. Alby stood there awkwardly.

"So do you remember what happened at the Gathering...?"

Isabelle came back to focus and looked him in the eyes. "Yes. And I think it's best if we don't talk of it again, okay?"

"Good that," Alby said and nodded awkwardly. "I want to hold another to find out everything you know about who put us here, alright?"

Isabelle agreed and once Alby walked away, Newt wound his arm around her waist.

"So I see your leg is doing well," she murmured. He smiled and kissed the top of her head.

"Thanks to you," he replied.

Isabelle rested her head against his chest and sighed, letting her eyes slip shut. She'd been longing for a moment like this for weeks.

"I missed you, Newt."

"You don't have to anymore," he murmured into her hair. "I'm not going anywhere. And hopefully you aren't either."

Their lips had just touched when the ground beneath them shook and loud thunderous echoes were heard. Something in the Maze had collapsed.

Isabelle helped Newt run to the Maze doors along with everyone else. Thomas and Minho were in the Maze and everyone gathered around the door to wait for them.

"Do you think they're okay?" Chuck asked. Isabelle had nothing to say.

"They'll be fine," Newt said with uncertainty.

No one spoke. They all waited in silence for the Runners to come around either of the corners at top speed. More crashing echoes came from deep within the Maze.

It was another ten minutes before the two boys turned the corner. They stepped in the Glade and struggled for breath, obviously having been running and probably yelling knowing Minho.

"What was that?" All the Gladers seemed to ask a form or another of the same question.

"It was nothin," Minho breathed and put his hands to his knees. "Thomas just tripped."

"We," Thomas gasped. "Found a way...out."

Then the Glade erupted in yelling and loud questions.

***

"So you're telling me that you went in the Glade and when you entered a certain part, things just started to fall?" Alby folded his arms and turned from Minho to Isabelle. "And you're saying that you think this place called WICKED is behind it?"

They both nodded. Alby pushed a hand to his face and groaned. "Okay so what do we do then?"

Isabelle was quick to answer. "We get out. We fight."

"Yeah? And what happens when half of us are killed in the process and we have no one left to fight if we get out?"

Isabelle grumbled. "We don't know that's going to happen."

"Don't we?" Alby folded his arms. "According to you, they can kill us with the press of a button! So why wouldn't they?"

"I don't know! But it's not like we can just sit here and not try," she threw back.

Minho joined in. "She's right. Even if they are able to kill us, we can't just stay here. It's not where we belong."

Alby threw his hands up. "Whatever. Leave. But whoever dies, is on you." Alby stared at Isabelle harshly and left the Gathering place. She glared at his back as he got further away.

Minho was quiet for a second before asking her a question. "So they really forced you to do all of that? To...kill Alec?"

Isabelle nodded slowly. "They wanted me to 'remember who I was'." Isabelle stared off into the Glade for a moment. "Maybe I don't remember much about before the Glade, but I know I wasn't a monster."

Minho stood. "I believe you. And I'll help you fight. I think most of the Gladers will once they realize what WICKED is."

"And what is that?" Isabelle asked and leaned back in her chair.

Minho shrugged. "WICKED is bad."