Chapter 15

*Warning: This chapter has a little spoiler from the Death Cure*

Isabelle woke long after the Runners had left for the Maze. Chuck mentioned that he saw Newt eat an apple before leaving. At least it was something.

No one came to the Med-jacks today. Probably the first day in the history of the Glade that a boy didn't injure himself doing something stupid. Isabelle sat on the mattress and put her chin in her hands, blowing a piece of hair that dangled in her face back and forth.

It was a little after noon when it happened.

Shouting was coming from within the Glade and suddenly Minho was kicking down the door to the Med-Jacks hut.

"Get him on the bed! Now!" Minho commanded. A circle of about six or seven boys was around someone and placing them on the bed.

"What do they need?" Isabelle asked Minho who was covered in the other persons blood.

"Uh, um," he stammered trying to think. "A leg splint, gauze, bandages, and I don't know what else."

Isabelle got the things as Minho said them and suddenly felt sick to her stomach. She breathed deeply and pushed all the other boys away from the injured person.

It was Newt.

"What happened?" She asked Minho with a quivering voice.

"He jumped."

***

After clearing the Med-jacks hut, Isabelle and Clint got to work. Jeff was getting supplies they'd stashed in the Homestead because there wasn't enough room in the hut.

Clint secured Newts head and Isabelle began working on his leg.

"Clint what's hit pulse like?" Isabelle asked. It was taking everything inside of her not to cry and breakdown. She had to be strong. Had to save him.

"Weak. He's losing a lot of blood."

"Okay I need more bandages, fast," Isabelle demanded.

"The rest are in the Homestead," Clint responded. "Jeffs supposed to be getting them."

"He's been gone for too long! Go help him find them please," she ordered. "I can keep him alive but not without those bandages."

Clint raced out the door and Isabelle took off her outer shirt and left herself in her tanktop. She pressed the fabric of her shirt to his head. It was bleeding pretty bad and the blood soaked through her shirt in no time.

"Newt why did you do this?" She asked him, knowing she wouldn't get a reply from his unconscious state.

The door to the hut opened and she started to ask Clint for the bandages when she turned to look at him.

Clint hadn't entered. It was Gally.

"Gally I can't have anyone in here I need you to leave," she said quickly and turned the now red shirt over to soak up more blood.

Gally just stood there and didn't say anything.

"Gally, leave," Isabelle demanded. She gave him a look that would send most people running for cover. "Now."

Instead of leaving, he locked the door and started towards Isabelle. He pulled her away from Newt.

"Let me go!" She screamed. "He's dying! I need to help him!"

Gally kept his tight grip on her.

Where were Jeff and Clint? Couldn't they help get this psycho off of her?

"I hid the bandages do Clint or Jeff can't save him either."

Isabelle tried to kick him or bite his hand.

"See, if you let him die, then we can be together. And I know that's what we should be, together."

"You're insane!" Isabelle growled. "If you don't let me go, you're going to have a lot worse things to deal with than a heartbreak."

Gally kept his hold on her and tightened it around her arms so she couldn't move them.

Fine, he wanted to play? She'd play.

"Gally," she fake sobbed. "You're hurting me."

She went limp in his arms and made herself cry, which didn't take much. Gally gave a sigh and loosened his grip a little.

"Maybe," Isabelle started. She was going to hate herself for saying this, but it was the only way to get back to Newt. "Maybe you're right. We can be together."

Isabelle struggled to turn herself around in his arms. "I never could see it before," she whispered. "But you were right all along. I do love you."

She wanted to throw up, but she pushed the urge down. She had to do the last touches to her performance.

"Kiss me?" She asked.

Gally smiled. "You finally see what I was talking about?"

She nodded and leaned in. Gally let go of her and she pressed her hands on his chest. Gallys hands wound around her waist and she leaned in to him even closer.

Before their lips touched, she whispered, "I was never more sure about how I feel about you until now."

He was about to respond when she punched him in the throat. He fell to the ground, gasping for air. While he was on his knees, she yanked her knee up and hit it into his face. He was completely on his back now and blood was oozing from his nose. And mouth.

While he tried to get up, Isabelle grabbed a syringe filled with liquid they gave to patients sometimes to knock them out. Gally was on one knee when she plunged the end of it into his arm.

"You...you little..." Gally slurred and pulled the syringe out. The look of hatred on his face didn't scare Isabelle, she was wearing the same one.

He fell to the ground, completely unconscious. He wouldn't wake up for at least a day.

Isabelle unlocked the door and Clint and Jeff were already running back to the hut. They seriously couldn't have come two minutes earlier?

Isabelle rushed over to Newt and felt for his pulse. While se searched for it, Clint and Jeff entered with arms full of bandages.

"What happened?" They asked.

"Don't mind him. Help me...I can't find a pulse!"

Clint moved her out of the way and she paced back and forth worriedly. Clint searched on his neck for his heartbeat.

"It's because he doesn't have one."

Isabelle stopped frozen and tears filled her eyes. Clint positioned his hands on Newts chest and began pushing down rhythmically. What on earth was he doing?

"Save him," she sobbed.