Use The Door (8)

Zelda had been surprised that Link hadn't just come inside with her. He usually insisted on being around most of the time, but he had said that he had some other things to attend to, and that she should be safe if she stayed inside the mansion.

Zelda left the bathroom in her robe while towel drying her long hair. She noticed Link sitting in his usual spot in the corner. This time however he was reading a book. One of her books.

"Hey!" she snapped, walking over to him and snatching the book out of his grasp. "What are you doing?"

"Reading," Link replied calmly as he tilted his head to look up at her, eyeing her robe and wet hair.

"Well this is my book. What are you doing reading one of my books?"

"Didn't realize I couldn't," he said with a slightly smirk. "Is there something wrong with me taking an interest in your book?"

"N-no but... You literally like this book?" she asked, looking down at it. It was a story about phoenix in human form, and how one girl saved a lot of others like her from being sacrificed for an ancient spell. There wasn't a whole lot of romance in it, not until the end, but she was still embarrassed thinking about Link reading a book that she liked.

"What? I can't like to read?" he said as he held out his hand.

She looked at him and then the book again. She didn't respond as she gave in and set it back in his hand and walked over to her mirror.

"What are you doing out here in a robe?"

"It's my room."

"And I'm in it."

She looked over at him and was surprised to see that he was looking away from her. His face was in shadow so she couldn't quite tell, but she thought that he might have been blushing.

"I'm wearing pajamas underneath it, settle down," she said as she rolled her eyes. "Besides, you're the one who insisted that you stay in here with me."

Link looked down at the book and shrugged a little bit. "For security reasons..."

"...Hmm."

He looked up, suddenly concerned. "Really; that's the on-"

"I know, I know, I'm just messing with you," she said as she started to laugh.

He settled back in the chair as he let out a 'hmph'.

She couldn't help but laugh again.

Link rolled his eyes and set the book aside and stood up. "I'll be back before midnight."

"Oh? Where are you going?"

"Sorry, I didn't realize you were my mother," he said as he rolled his eyes and left through the balcony door and then disappeared.

She watched him go, mildly amused and annoyed at the same time. She started to play video games late into the night until he finally showed back up. From the balcony. Again. She opened the door and stepped aside to let him in, then she locked it after him. "Why not use the door?"

"That was a door," he replied as he shivered.

"A real door," she said as she walked to the end of the bed and then grabbed a blanket. "Here," she threw it at his head. "How cold is it out there? Think it'll snow soon?"

"Thanks," he said, but his reply was muffled because the blanket was over his face. He sat down in front of the tv and wrapped the blanket around himself. "It's pretty close to freezing I'd say. Maybe even below. It could snow, but a weather report would probably be more accurate than I am."

"Probably," she said as she pulled out her phone to look it up.

"What are you playing?" he asked as he looked at the black screen.

"Nothing," Zelda replied turning away a little bit from him as she examined the forecast. "No snow..." she said sadly.

"Why do you want it to snow? You can't go to school if it gets high enough to cancel," he pointed out.

Her eyes widened slightly. "I didn't think about that..." She paused as if her world had just been shattered. "...I just really like snow..."

"Why do you like it so much?"

Zelda narrowed her eyes. "Why is it you get to ask questions about me and I don't get to know anything about you."

Link tilted his head slightly to the side as he thought up an answer. "Well you're the interesting one."

"To you maybe," she said as she rolled her eyes, narrowly avoiding blushing. "I want to know just who I'm expected to put up with for the next..." She paused as she thought about it. "...six months?"

He smirked. "I don't like to talk about myself."

Zelda looked at him in silence, and then she smiled. "Then we'll play a game."

Link frowned. "What's this game."

"If you ask me a question, I get to ask you a question. If you don't answer my question, I don't answer yours."