Understanding His suffering

Many of us often overlook what Jesus really suffered through when He died on the cross. He was betrayed by one of His disciples, denied three times by another, and had little support from His friends the night He was captured. He never uttered one complaint, not even while the elders and chief priests sentenced Him to a painful death. He still looked at the ones who crucified Him in love, not in anger or condemnation. When I was reading in Matthew chapter 26, I was moved in my spirit to visualize His hardship like I never have before.

Matthew 26:38-40
Then He said to them, "My soul is very sorrowful, even to death; remain here and watch with Me." And going a little farther He fell on His face and prayed, saying, "My Father, if it be possible, let this cup pass from Me; nevertheless, not as I will, but as You will." And He came to the disciples and found them sleeping.

Jesus sought God when His heart was full of sorrow. After finding His disciples sound asleep, He asked for them to stay up and pray with Him, but, again, they fell asleep. Jesus had no support from His friends, Jesus was about to be confronted with a death sentence but responded boldly in prayer. Jesus was willing to fulfill the Father's will and face death. He literally had the weight of the world on His shoulders; without His sacrifice, none of us can receiver atonement for our sins.

Matthew 26:49-50
And he came up to Jesus and said, "Greetings, Rabbi!" And he kissed Him. Jesus said to him, "Friend, do what you came to do."

When Jesus was betrayed by one of His disciples, Judas. I can imagine that caused a lot of hurt for Jesus. What really intrigued me was the way that Jesus responded. He called him friend. He spoke in such a loving, affectionate way towards the one who just delivered Him to be captured. This really captures the essence of the deep love of our Lord Jesus Christ. No matter what we do, nothing can make Him love us any less.

Matthew 26:66-68
"What is Your judgement?" They answered, "He deserves death!" Then they spit in His face and struck Him and some slapped Him, saying, "Prophesy to us, you Christ! Who is it that struck You?"

The scribes and the elders mocked Jesus. They hit, punched, slapped, cursed, and spit on Him. Jesus never said a word. He never complained, or got angry. He just stood silent, an innocent man, taking a punishment that He did not deserve. He died for you, me, and even those who crucified and betrayed Him.

Matthew 26:74
Then he began to invoke a curse on himself and to swear, "I do not know the man!" And immediately the rooster crowed.

Peter, one of Jesus' beloved disciples, denied being a follower of Jesus three times, just as He had prophesied. After being betrayed, mocked, and denied, Jesus felt abandoned by His friends when He needed them the most. Have you ever felt alone and as if your loved ones left you in a time of need? Jesus completely understands, He's been there, and He will NEVER leave or forsake you.

Jesus knows betrayal. He knows what it's like to be rejected. He was mistreated and mocked, and oftentimes misunderstood. Many companions of Jesus treated Him as an enemy when His darkest hour had arrived. Jesus was hated. He loved others fiercely, even when they refused to love Him back. Jesus knows abandonment, He even felt distanced from our Father in Heaven as He hung on the cross crying out, "Father, Father! Why have You forsaken Me?" Jesus prayed for the very people that nailed His wrists and feet to the cross. If it all came down to it, Jesus would choose death again. All for us. He walked the earth so He could persevere for us. Jesus persevered so He can sincerely say, "Yes, I understand."