Christ-like Men

In many of my chapters, I've discussed a lot about godly women but I haven't written much based on godly manhood. In this chapter, I want to write about what a Christ-like man looks like. This is important for both guys and girls to read, and for those that are either single or in a relationship.

Ephesians 5:26-27
that he might sanctify her, having cleansed her by the washing of water with the word, so that he might present the church to himself in splendor, without spot or wrinkle or any such thing, that she might be holy and without blemish

In these two verses, it discusses why Jesus laid His life down for the church. Christ died for the church to cleanse us and to guide us so we can live lives of holiness. Godly men are designed to love their wives just as Christ loves the church. The relationship between Christ and the church symbolizes the marriage relationship between husband and wife. Once we really grasp that, we'll gain more of an understanding of intimacy, love, and selflessness.

We have to go all the way back to the beginning to see what kind of traits and lifestyle this godly man should have. A man after God's own heart looks a lot like Adam in the book of Genesis. Here are the qualities and characteristics that a strong, godly man possesses: he has a clear self-image, he is in the presence of God, he is hardworking, he is a cultivator, a protector, and he knows the Word.

Clear Self-Image: This man knows who he is in Christ. His identity rests in the Lord, and he strives to be like Jesus-not other people. He doesn't try to please man. [Galatians 1:10] He doesn't follow all of the new clothing and social media trends. He surrounds himself with positive influences, he chooses his friends wisely. He stands out in a crowd filled with thousands of people, he has been consecrated and sanctified. He's aware of his boldness in Christ, he never allows insecurity tell him who he is.

In God's Presence: His greatest desire is to enter into God's presence, he hungers to stay in fellowship with the Father. This type of man doesn't want to go anywhere unless he is in the presence of God. Everyone knows that God is with him. He strives to be filled with the Holy Spirit at all times. He never passes up an opportunity to worship our King. The presence of the Lord is what drives and inspires his words, actions, and aspirations.

Hardworking: Working is one of this man's greatest passions. He loves to work and use his time wisely. He knows the value of precious time and refuses to waste it by spending his time foolishly. He doesn't depend on others to supply his needs to him because he rises early in the morning and works hard into the night to provide for himself and his family.

Cultivator: This type of man will always improve those around him. He helps people recognize and develop to their true potential. He takes delight in helping others. He's selfless and generous, he doesn't hesitate to lend a helping hand to those in need.

Protector: Men were made to be protectors. They have a God-given instinct to stand by and protect their loved ones at all costs. They'll even go as far as to sacrifice their own lives for others just as Christ sacrificed Himself for the church. [Ephesians 5:25]

Knows the Word: He keeps God's Word engraved on the tablet of his heart. God delivers the Word to the man, and the man delivers the Word to his wife. It shouldn't be a chore for a man to get up and go to church or for a man to read his Bible. The man needs to know the Word. God is the sustainer of the man and the man is the foundation of the family. He is enabled to carry the weight of his entire family. If the man stays in God's Word, and speaks and teaches that Word over his family, they will prosper over the traps set by the enemy. If the man doesn't share the Word with his family, it's foundation could be shaken.

Act now: List off what qualities you'd want in a future spouse someday and also make a list of the things that you may need to improve on to become a great spouse in the future. These lists are very helpful in checking your own heart and also setting standards for when you choose to get romantically involved with someone.

For Example:

Here are my top 5 qualities that I find significant in a future spouse:
1. Humble
2. Accountable
3. Passionate
4. Kind
5. Patient

Here are 5 things that I'm going to improve on:
1. Being more organized
2. Using my time wisely
3. Developing better communication skills
4. Learning how to cook
5. Learning how to manage money well.