XXXVII. An Expected Meeting

Start from the beginning

Desiree swallowed the lump in her throat. "Until you bring your father down," she corrected, kneeling beside him. She held his face in her hands and whispered, "You'll see him again."

He did not answer and just let her kiss him. She unbuttoned his shirt and pulled it out of him, saying, "Let's get you cleaned up because you stink. I'm serious. You stink," she added when he just smiled. "And then we'll feed you. And then sated," she finished with a seductive smile.

"He said he'd take a very long vacation," he whispered, smiling up at her.

"He deserves it."

"He can finally get the normal life he'd been planning for after all. Funny, right?" he said with a scoff. He closed his eyes again and it was a moment later before he told her, "He said to tell you to always remember his last threat."

Desiree's eyes widened and her hands paused on his fly for a second before she slowly smiled.

If you as much as betray my brother, you'll have to face me again.

"What did he say to you and when was this?" Theo asked.

Shaking her head, she said, "It's nothing. I'm glad he's fine."

"And he also told me to go home and talk you into talking."

Desiree peeled his pants off his legs and leaned down to plant another kiss on his lips. "We'll talk later. For now, go get a shower."

*****

Theo was looking out the window of his office early the next day. Desiree was in the kitchen making breakfast. He wondered where his brother was now.

They shouldn't risk getting caught when the evidence of Richard's murder and death was still sitting on their father's office table, waiting to be discovered by the old man himself. Richard said he'd make contact the moment he was safely away. How he would do that was a great mystery to Theo but he'd be looking forward to it.

Sitting back behind his desk, he scrolled through the files he had been studying for days. And then he checked the time. 9 o'clock.

It was time.

He picked up his phone and called Kane.

"And what services can I offer you this time, Theo, my dear?" she answered.

"I need to talk to Marco Morrison in five minutes."

*****

Desiree had a lot of things in her mind as she waited for the time.

"Penny for your thoughts," Theo said as he drove.

"I was just wondering why Kane helped you."

"With Richard?" She nodded and he answered, "I told you before that she had always been close to us, more like a mother. There was never one moment that she had let us down, even if it meant keeping some secrets from the old man."

"Which can also mean—"

"I know where you are going with this, Des, and I am telling you Kane is clean. Well, not that clean but she's...I just think she didn't kill Jamaica."

She didn't answer. Of course, he was close to Kane. What else could he expect from him? But couldn't he see? The woman's ex-lover had been banging almost all women out there, Jamaica included. She cared a lot about him and Richard and based on what happened last night she was willing to do anything to protect them. And Richard had been betrayed by Jamaica—if that were ever true. And Kane hated Jamaica. If those were not reasons enough for the lady to kill her, Desiree would be willing to give up her search for Jam's killer. No one in the organization had more reasons than Kane.