V. The Mad, Bad and Evil

"He's the guy," said Marco.

Gian nodded. "The very same guy."

The two of them had been looking at the composite sketch of the man Khaye knew as Richard.

He was Richard, alright. In fact, his real name was Richard Karlsson and they had been hunting him down for years.

"We never had the chance to tie him to any of the murders, but this might just be the first one he is directly connected to," uttered Marco.

"When Khaye mentioned the tattoos, I could hardly believe it."

"But what was he doing with this Petroff guy?" He turned to Gian with a frown. "Your sister said Petroff is one of the most powerful men in the entertainment industry. What the hell is he doing talking about money with the guy on our most wanted list?"

Gian shrugged. "You know they hide in plain sight. He's definitely one of them."

Marco returned his gaze to the sketch. "We need a word with Petroff."

The door burst open and a young officer came stumbling in. "She's gone. We can't find her," he said breathlessly. He was talking to Gian. "Your sister's gone."

*****

Desiree saw the amazement in their faces as the host announced that she was sold.

Sold.

Just like those fine paintings, those stolen ancient artifacts.

She was sold in less than two minutes for eighty million dollars.

As the two gloved men wheeled her out of the stage like they had done with the previous items, Desiree carved in her memory the clapping faces. They looked like people, some even faintly familiar. With their glittery dresses and fine suits, they looked like people. Her eyes met Theo's for a brief moment before she finally disappeared from view.

He was just like them. To call them animals was an understatement.

"Congratulations, dear," Ms. Kane's voice spoke behind her.

Desiree tried to stop the tears but one eventually escaped. A shiver ran through her spine when she felt Ms. Kane's soft touch on her cheek, wiping it off her face. "You must have left a pretty good impression on that boy. Eighty mil is not cheap, even for us, considering the kind of artifact." She sighed and smiled down at her. "But men will always be men. They like their women as much as we like our shoes. Crazy bastards, aren't they?" She turned to the two men standing there, waiting for orders. "Pack her nicely. She'll be delivered as soon as possible. And don't forget the damn 'fragile' stickers again! The last one got a lot of bruises and the buyer was seriously pissed!" she added before walking off without another look at Desiree.

*****

Theo arranged for a ride before his brother got back. He was wise to know that Richard could do anything at this rate.

He threw the old man he wanted to speak to with a look of regret. He'd do it next time, he thought.

"Theo! Where are you going?"

Without pausing, he looked over his shoulder and saw Tatiana. She was smiling at him with curiosity and she was looking gorgeous. "I have to go. Urgent business."

"Call me!" she added at his retreating back. He just lifted one hand in response and strode off the room, careful not to bump into his brother.

"Your ride's waiting at the side exit," informed one of the guards.