XXIX. Jamaica De la Vega

Somehow Vernier had thought about the wrong things he had done the last time he took her to his house. And somehow he managed to come up with a different, calmer way to approach the situation.

It was with awe that Desiree could read his mind—his sick, repulsive mind. She could take that to her advantage now that she understood how his mind worked and what he was planning to do to her. The element of surprise was gone and her mind worked better that way. Every fiber in her being wanted to stay away from Vernier, but she had to fight the urge. She needed to stay alert and stick to the simple plan she, Theo and Richard came up with.

The first thing to do was make sure that the door was unlocked. And it was. Vernier, in his haste to get her alone, didn't bother to lock it, too confident with the thought that he had guards around the place. The very same guards Richard had been watching and spying on for an entire week.

"Your phone is in my office," Vernier said under his breath as he turned to look at her, brandy in hand.

Desiree cocked an eyebrow, tilting her head to the side. "Theo got me another one," she said, lifting the small clutch bag in her hand. He understood what she meant. She wasn't here for her phone. And he smiled—a very satisfied smile.

"I can't believe that you are the same woman who walked in her the last time—"

She moved to walk up to him, her dress dancing along her knees. "I was just merely surprised," she interrupted. "Who would have thought I would be subjected to such a horrible act?" She watched the fire in his eyes and sighed, lifting her shoulders. "But the more I thought about what you could have done to me, the pain you could have perfectly inflicted, the more I got restless. It took...days, perhaps, for me to finally admit it to myself." She lifted her chin and let her words sink in before she continued, "I would love the pain. Theo gives it to me from time to time, but it's not enough. It is never enough. I want more." She blinked and forced herself to show the desire in her eyes. "I want my tattoo on that wall."

Vernier opened his mouth but she stopped him with one finger against his lips.

"But I want to be alive to see it hanging on the wall."

His eyebrows rose. "That can be arranged."

Desiree decided to push it a little bit more. "And I want an entire wall just for myself." She feigned disgust. "I can't bear the thought of it being hanged among the others. I want an entire wall for myself," she repeated the last statement with indignation.

Vernier grasped her wrist and started laughing. "My God, you are crazier than I expected." She let out a gasp when he suddenly grabbed her by the arm and pushed her hard against him. "And I like it. Oh, I very much like it, Desiree." She had feared he would kiss her and her act would be over because God knew how much she would find that repulsive. But she knew he wouldn't do it. He was not that kind of man. His lust was for something else. "Your request will be granted. But first," he said, stepping away from her, "let's drink."

She gulped. "Drink?"

He nodded, looking at her lips. "To ease your nerves. And it will help with the pain."

Once again, her heart began to race faster until she could feel it in her throat. "I don't think I'd want to delay this thing further," she uttered, meeting his gaze. "Theo might wonder where I am and I don't want to complicate things between you and him. You can't imagine how much I want this."

For a second she saw something flash before his eyes before he smiled. "Very well, then, I hope you can make yourself comfortable while I ready my room," he finally said. He watched her from head to foot before he turned away.