X. The RunAway Model

Desiree had trouble sleeping again that night. Theo handcuffed her again to the foot of his bed and went straight to sleep with an order that she did the same.

Though her body was screaming for her to close her eyes, her mind wouldn't stop spinning. And as she kept on thinking about her situation, she started to doubt whether she could get away from this nightmare.

Jamaica was dead and everyone thought she did it, Richard on top of that list. The police would wonder about her disappearance and she wouldn't be surprised if she was their number one suspect right now. But how could she clear her name if she was chained in this cruel fate? And if she did manage to escape after a long disappearance, how would she prove that she didn't do it?

She had heard Richard that night in the hotel. They had taken care of the cameras in the hotel. There would be no proof that she wasn't there the night Jamaica was killed. If she as much as show up to the police, there was a big chance that she was going to land in jail. There were only two people who last saw Jamaica and they were Petroff and Richard. She hadn't seen Petroff. Richard was ready to kill her anytime he got the chance. But that didn't mean he didn't do it either. Both men were powerful and they could easily get away from it.

But what about her? The world saw her as nothing but a model who knew nothing but to take advantage of her age and beauty. She was powerless compared to them. Petroff controlled the industry she worked for. Richard was the son of a powerful underground criminal leader.

I have to prove I didn't do it, she thought.

How?

By learning more of their world. By knowing everyone in it. By catching the real killer.

If she could manage to escape in the future, she'd have to be ready to fight. And she would have to find the right person to talk to. She'd clear her name and spill every dirty little secret of The Liaisons.

*****

Marco was silent for a very long time. His eyes told her he didn't believe her but she had no choice.

She kept her mouth shut and forced her eyes not to waver.

"You told us the night we talked to you a very different story, Khaye," Marco said, breaking the silence.

"I was scared senseless, okay? I didn't know what I was saying. You guys were putting a lot of pressure on me. I didn't want to point out Desiree at the scene because what happened was an accident."

He gave her a puzzled look. "Accident?"

"From what I heard, it was an accident." Petroff didn't tell her this, but she had to make up her own story if she wanted to be believed. "They fought because of Petroff. Desiree saw Jamaica walking out with him from that bar and I think she got jealous."

"Jealous how?"

"Petroff hooks up with a lot of models. It's a great advantage to be in his favor. You know how shallow women can get when they are desperate, at least in our world. They may be best friends, but that's only for the cameras," she lied again.

Marco didn't even have a notepad in front of him but it amazed Khaye how he remembered every small detail. "You told us that Desiree was with a man when you ran out of that hotel room."

She nodded her head. "Yes, she was. They were both walking away from the same hall as me."

"Tell me exactly what you heard that night Desiree and Jamaica fought."

"I can't remember every fucking word they said, okay? I was still at a loss from what happened with that Richard guy and Petroff, trying to wrap my head around what Jamaica could possibly be into other than modeling. All I know is that Desiree came in and she was drunk and she called Jamaica a whore and they fought. There was a bit of commotion and then I just heard Jamaica's pained scream. And Desiree kept saying she was sorry and all. Then the door opened again and another guy's voice spoke up and they talked for a while, Desiree in panic, telling the guy it was an accident. He told her they should get the hell out of there and that was it. I think they tidied up the room. Desiree was crying the whole time and then they left. That was when I thought I should get the hell out of there and I saw them running away. That's the real story. That's all I can say."