Prologue: Part One

1925

Sebastian Samuel's was having the time of his life. The party was in full swing at the Oasis Hotel and Casino. The place was Sebastian's father's, a thriving gambler's paradise in the middle of the Arizona desert.

Prohibition banned liquor, but that plan had backfired, leaving bootleggers to sell there wares at prices unheard of before this. Booze was cheap, and everyone took advantage of that. It made tonight seem even grander.

Sebastian was waiting for a certain guest, a man he had met in the city a few days ago. The man had promised to visit the Oasis, tonight. Sebastian was almost positive that he was the big client they needed to get the Oasis on the map.

Then, through the swirling couples on the dance floor, he saw the man. And he wasn't alone. There were four other men with him, all dressed to the nines. These were definitely high end clients.

Sebastian managed to get his father's attention, waving him over. "What is it Seb?" his father asked, slightly irritated at being pulled away from his dance. "Dad, I think I've found the big client we've been needing." he said excitedly, gesturing towards the group of men.

His father nodded, then went to introduce himself. He talked to the men for a moment, then gestured to his office, above the casino. The men nodded then headed up. His father then returned to Sebastian. "Come on Seb. The want to discuss a partnership." his father said excitedly.

Sebastian headed up to the office. There they found the men waiting. One man, the one Sebastian had met previously, stepped forward.

"My name is James Carlton. These are my associates. We have come to buy your establishment. We will pay whatever you ask." he said coolly.

Sebastian saw the startled look on his fathers face. "I'm sorry sir, thats a very generous offer, but we are not for sale." he answered. The mans eyes darkened, along with his expression. "Everything has a price. Name yours."

Sebastian had a bad feeling about this whole thing. There was something dangerous about these men. Something predatory in the way they watched. Sebastian was a big man, and had never had trouble defending himself, but these men gave him the impression that they weren't to be taken lightly.

"May I ask why you want the place so badly?" his father asked. "It suits our purposes. Secluded, away from prying eyes." James said. What exactly were they plaining on using the place for? sebastian didnt want to find out.

"Well, I'm sorry, but we really aren't prepared to sell." his father said, with finality. "Well, I'm very sorry to hear that." James said.

Then, with a gesture nearly too fast for Sebastian to see, he grabbed his father's shirt, yanking him forward. And then he violently sunk his teeth into Sebastian's father's throat. His father let out a chilling scream, and then fell silent.

Sebastian was grabbed from behind on both sides, in a grip that he couldnt break. James pulled away from his father, blood smeared across his face. And then he pounced on Sebastian.

         *******************************************************************************

Sebastian woke up feeling strange. Everything sounded excruciatingly loud. His head ached, and his mouth and throat felt dry as sand paper. This was like extreme hang over.

He rubbed a hand across his sore neck, and felt something wet. He quickly pulled his hand back. It was covered in blood. He jumped to his feet, as the memories of what had happened flooded back.

His father was dead, and it was entirely his fault. Someone was going to pay.

He left his father's office, headed out to the casino. There, just before him, stood James and his men. Sebastian tore them apart, one by one.

         ********************************************************************************

It was sometime later when Sebastian realized what he had become. A vampire.