Chapter Nine

Sebastian was an idiot. Forty odd years as a shut in had robbed him of any and all skill when it came to women. He had finally met someone, someone funny and interesting and beautiful. And had then proceeded to send said person running for her life. Not that he blamed her. He shouldn't have tried to kiss her, he knew that. No girl, at least none that he was interested in, would have let him kiss her after just a few hours.

It wasn't entirely his fault, though. She was so funny, especially when she was angry. It was obvious she thought herself quite intimidating, and perhaps to a human she would have been (Though he doubted it.) He had known it was making her angry, but he couldn't bring himself to stop. And when she had made to storm off, his first instinct had been to pull her back, to keep her close. So close that her could feel her warmth, every curve pressed against him, and those perfect lips just inches from his. Any man would have been hard pressed not to try and kiss those lips. And he had scared her so badly that she had run right out, as far away from him as possible.

His first sickening thought had been that he had hurt her, held her slim wrist too tightly, snatched her too roughly. The next had been that he had somehow shown her the darker side of his nature, of the monster under the surface. But the most prominent thought, the one that had spurred him into almost immediate action, was the thought of Kat, so bold and lovely, alone in a club full of vampires.

He knew that if her beauty and struck him so deeply, others would be sure to notice. It wasn't safe. And he felt a desperate need to keep her safe.

He had jumped to his feet, rushing to the head of the staircase, where Alex stood, looking perplexed. He noticed Sebastian, and turned his questioning gaze towards him. "Uh, good evening, sir." he said a bit uncertainly, clearly wondering about the girl who had just passed through. Sebastian stopped his questions with one of his own. "Where did she go, Alex?" he growled. "She was headed towards the club." he answered, paused, then asked sheepishly "I take it she wasn't a waitress delivering your drinks?" Sebastian let out a barking laugh. So that's how she got up. Devious little fox. Alex was looking a bit shocked, obviously not used to Sebastian laughing.

Before he could question it, Sebastian descended the stairs for the first time in nearly six months. Kat's scent was lost in the casino, drowned in the smell of alcohol and greed. And blood. That scent was easily detected, though a few hours old. Someone had gambled and lost.

He turned to Alex, who had a more powerful nose. Another reason werewolves were good to have on hand, as an old friend had taught Sebastian many years ago. "Alex, can you find her?" he asked. Alex's nostrils flared, searching. He nodded slowly, heading through the casino, and towards the club.

But, before they could enter, a familiar dark head caught his eye. It weaved through the crowd, heading towards the exit. He felt a sudden, overwhelming need to stop her, to keep her here, to keep her with him.

He dashed after her, catching up just as she was about to step out the door. He caught the door as she pulled it open, keeping closed, trapping her between it and him. "Not so fast kitten." he said quietly.

She whipped around to face him, her green eyes startled and wide. Mesmerizing green, they distracted him for a moment. But then her eyebrows drew down, and the the startled look morphed into irritation and anger. "Do NOT call me kitten." she seethed. He fought his smirk, not quite able to keep it hidden. She was terrifically fierce.

His amusement seemed to irritate her more. "Are you stalking me?" she demanded. "No." he replied immediately. "So you DIDN'T hunt me down? I think I made my feelings about your company quite clear, what with the running." she said snarkily. He had to think a minute about how to make this seem less creepy than it did when she said it like that.