Chapter Three

That night after meeting Laura, Lucas had another reason to visit the death market, commonly referred to as the Gambler's Morgue Casino-He wanted to check up on her fiancé, what was his name?, Neil. Because he knew what happened when the stakes get raised too high, he wanted to make sure he tried to help in any case he can. He remembers everything about the day he lost his life and more than anything, he doesn't want that to scar Laura. She's too worried enough as it is than finding her fiancé dead regardless of the fact that he caused most of her worries.

Getting some of his exes to be in his wedding as bridesmaids? Come on!

 The pulsing rave song hurts his ears, but that was usual everyday, as he leaves his small, secluded office and he hopes that he can somehow interfere with Neil's gambling deals. Passing the dance floor, he sees a bit of sequins glittering in the alternate lights and he freezes. Could those be Laura's...?

 He decides to not check it out and quickly passes the staring, envious vampires on the dance floor to reach the floor door and open it up. There, he proceeds to climb the stairs and shuts the door quickly. A quieter, soothing song seems to weave into his ears and feeling no longer the need to hide his feelings, he relaxes his shoulders and feels the weight and pain lift from his shoulders and a numb, feather-light sense comes over him as he slides from behind the bar and stares across the room at the round, blue velvet card tables and dealers. Some of the tables were square and red velvet, but those were for the special guests that the Owner invites, were currently unattended by any showgirls or dealers.. Some of the vampire showgirls were dealing for the tables, and the human showgirls brought around drinks and snacks, or took care of the money transactions between chips and money. The only males in the room were human and they were the  gamblers.

"Ah, Lucas. I've been expecting your pitiful face.. You should know better than to keep me waiting." His shoulders tighten-Of course, Chanelle would notice him. Slowly, he turns and meets her icy, humorous gaze. "Sorry, I was busy." His skin feels so itchy that he scratches his arms, and she only smiles widely. "Ah, so you don't want my refreshment? Shame.."

"No, that isn't what I meant, Chanelle." He replies too readily that she raises an eyebrow, but she holds a finger up. "Don't interrupt my business, Lucas. You of all people should know.." He realizes that she isn't alone at her personal table, and glances from his spot by the bar to the recipient of her game. Light blonde hair gelled back, bare light freckles on his face, and widely blue eyes frame this gambler's profile. "Who is he, Chanelle?" Blondie asks, nodding his head towards Lucas.

"I'm Lucas. Who are you?" He doesn't need Chanelle to speak for him, and the showgirl/dealer raises an eyebrow. Blondie sneers, "Neil Peters. I'm here with my fiancée. You wouldn't know her."

"On the contrary, Neil. I've met Laura.." He replies, watching as Neil's eyes light up and he turns to Chanelle. She has her arms crossed, waiting. "I'll bet Laura." Neil says confidently, and Lucas isn't able to hold back the dismay and surprise in his being. Unfortunately, there went his reserve of character and he has to prop a hand up on the bar to keep standing from his withdrawal of Chanelle's blood. "Ah, such a high stake to lose, Mr. Neil, however, I accept." Then, she begins to deal the cards.

"Chanelle-"

"Be quiet!" Lucas flinches from her shrill yell, and he remains quiet as they finish the short hand of blackjack. Neil lost.

"I'll bet my life!" Neil screams, throwing the black poker chip down in the center. Lucas' hands start to get cold, and he tries to get Neil to rebuke his deal, but the blonde waves him off. Chanelle's face is smiling cruelly at Neil. "I accept."

Lucas watches as Neil fails and the man's face pales exactly like he did once upon that time.. Chanelle had other plans for Neil, though. She grabs his jacket, towing him into the office before she slams the door shut, and  a moment passes before she re-enters the casino for a brief moment only to signal him to come in. Lucas keeps his head down as he wills himself to move. At first, it is easy, but then after a moment, his legs begin to feel like jello and become numb. Chanelle is by his side, helping him inside the office.

 All he can think about is what he is going to have to tell Laura...Laura! Chanelle bites her wrist, shoving it into his mouth, and he drinks enough to sustain his mild withdrawals.

His lungs breathe in shaggy breathes, "I...want to gamble."

"Don't be ridiculous. You have nothing to-"

"I wont complain if you make me a vampire. That's my offer." Before she can shoot him down entirely, he figures he might as well let her know the entire plan. As it happens, Chanelle pauses while pulling away as he regains full strength.

"What will I be offering you, if you win? Your freedom? Fat luck that will get you- You are already addicted to my blood." She snorts, and her eyes narrow even more into a cruel, maliciously analyzing gaze.

"...No, I want to gamble for Laura's life and freedom, but because of my duty to the club..." She waves his words off- She seems annoyed, now. "Fine, fine. We will only gamble at night for you. Four course blackjack is the game, though. I will not negotiate that, Lucas."

"I understand that." Lucas murmurs, silently praying that he can win for Laura. Chanelle disappears outside the office, returning with a velvet table in one hand's grasp. She sets it down in front of him, and places the cards in the center. "Ready to begin, Lucas?"