The BitterSweet Ending

Sometimes, people don't understand the extent to which you love someone. They think your feelings are a farce, a simple high school crush, but you know better. You know in your heart, that you could never exist without this person. You know that people were just meant to be together, despite all of the odds, despite all of the heart ache... That's why you have to help her, you know it in your heart that you can help her... Right?

"Why do I have to do this with you today? I thought this was a more private thing." She got defensive, quick. It was unorthodox for a doctor to request a patient's most problem inducing person to accompany her for today's therapy, but the doctor knows best.

You look distraught, she really seemed to be disgusted with the idea of you being able to put in some of your own thoughts into this session, then again you're unsure if you truly belong here in the first place anyway.

"You will not make anymore progress unless you allow yourself the chance to speak on a deep level with the one person that drives your emotions so frivolously..." The doctor instructed as they sat back in their chair and held a clip board in one arm, pencil in the other and they looked to you, giving you a soft nod then continuing. "Now, I want you to tell her, like you told me how you felt when she came back to you, and be honest." They said as they looked to her then to you with a small smile on their face.

"You..." She started before looking to you, your throat swallowing dryly as she opened her mouth to speak. "Are the best part of me... And I can't say what I said to you, that day that you came to me, when you could walk again. I've had a great time learning to deal with my emotions... But I still have problems I need to overcome... And I'm sorry about that..."

"Oh..." You say in some shock, unsure if this was the truth or a rouse as you glanced between her and the doctor before remaining on her and you reached a hand out, gently touching her own before continuing. "Marceline." You whisper gently and scoot over a bit before continuing. "This is entirely unexpected... But I am so happy you are okay... I told you, we could kick this." You smiled gently, hoping to reassure her.

She looked into your eyes, her's were tearing up again. "I couldn't have done it without you, but I still..." She looked down at your hand and pulled hers away and then looked up into your eyes again. "I can't... Do this right now with you. I need space..." You swore you felt your own heart shatter as you looked at her straightly.

"What are you saying?" You shakily asked, you just got her back, what did she mean by that? She wasn't saying what you thought she was... Was she?

She looked off to the side, quiet and distant for a while before starting "I need to go... Go see the world again. Revisit with people, regain my independence. And... I may not come back." She shut her eyes softly, her words were soft... Morose tinting them in the dingiest of grey as she continued. "You and me are like... Like... Hydrogen and oxygen. You are life giving, pure... And I am just unstable around you, it is killing me. It almost killed me. This." She motioned between both you and her. "This could literally kill me, and possibly even you." She was stifling cracks in her voice, her eyes couldn't even look into your own, she couldn't bring herself to truly believe what she was saying, but it was going to be for the best and you knew as well as her, at the back of your mind, to some degree... She was right. "So, Bonnie... I've already packed my things, and... I wanted to say goodbye. As to why I had to do it in front of the doctor, I don't know." She said as she got to her feet, you followed her quickly.

"WAIT." You shouted before gripping her shoulders tightly and you stared right at her eyes, even if they wouldn't meet your's and you spoke. "YOU... You didn't even warn me or ask me! What is this? All of a sudden you have to leave me? I did what I could to try and help you and now you just want to leave me for what could be forever? How could you do this to me? How are you doing this to me...?" Your cheeks are stained with tears, your face is hot with anguish. "Why are you doing this? This can't be it." You can't hold yourself back as you only tighten your grip on her shoulders and your tears run free... "Don't do this..."

"Stop it, Bonnibel." She scolded you as she gripped your wrists and pushed them away, forcing you to take a step back as she then looked into your tear stained eyes and she moved her hands to gently wipe the tears from your cheeks, cool fingers against your hot skin... "Just... Stop... Please, you are making this extremely difficult. Listen to me, this will be the best thing for us, I promise you... Time heals almost every wound, and hey I might just be gone for a few months and be back before you notice I'm gone... Everything is going to be okay, I promise you. Things are crappy now, but in a few weeks you'll return to your normal self, and you have an entire kingdom to worry about." You couldn't begin to understand her words, she was just... How could she? You were outraged by her calmness about the entire thing... Her lips kept moving, but you couldn't decide if you want to listen to the garbage she was spewing, or kiss her... Or punch her in the face to stop her from talking.

She stared at you for a good while as if she stopped talking and was maybe waiting for an answer, you shook your head, your tears dried, nose still stuffed as you looked at her, then at the doctor, then at her again and you lifted your hand, reeled it back and let it fly as a fist right into her face. "I don't know. If that was a sufficient answer, but I couldn't tolerate your bull shit anymore. And you." She looked to the doctor. "How could you fill her head with this nonsense? If she wants to see the world... Why can't I be there with her? I love her, I love her more than the kingdom I rule which is basically my entire... Fucking... Life." You grimace as you approach the doctor to keep them from getting up but suddenly a fist to the stomach has you on the ground and you're blocking your face with your arms as the punches fly.

She's on top of you releasing some of that tension she's kept pent up before she knew it she was slowing to a stop... Finally, your turn. You push her off and give her a few punches to the stomach, her knee meets your side as you lay on top of her and pin her down, you're furious... How could she even think about leaving you behind like that? After a few moments though, and a swift punch to your face, you're on the ground, stuck under her and the doctor brought in two guards, one getting her off of you and the other helping you up as you looked at her and then shook your head, telling the guards to release her. "Are... You still leaving?" Curiosity piqued...

She looked at you, a strange smile on her face as she nodded. "Come with me?" She may have had a bruised cheek but she seemed alright as you came close and pulled her in and kissed her lips as gently and carefully as possible, your nose having taken the brunt of the punch, not broken but definitely sore and your eyes were crying as a result.

"Only if you promise not to try this again on your own." You manage to giggle out, her arms tight around you for some reason you can't let her go off on her own, not without a fight, literally this time. You sigh gently and kiss her again before instantly regretting it and speaking. "I... need to get ice for this, join me?" She was quick to nod and took your hand as you led her to the kitchen area for ice.

You love her. And you know this for a fact... That you can not be without her by your side, ever so loyal and ever so beautiful. She knows it too, and she isn't one to argue against that thing called fate... Fate can bind two people so poisonous for each other that it turns out to be the sweetest of loves... Don't let the chance to figure out if someone is meant to be, pass you by. You may end up regretting the decision to not act on your gut instinct... Don't ever be discouraged, don't ever pass up the chance to live life either. This life is too short. Be safe, and be good... I... I love you all, everyone who's stuck with this until this point. You matter, you are so important. This will be the end of my short story, and I hope it was everything you were looking for, or that it at least kept you entertained... A lot of the feelings I've depicted have been my own, and I don't know if I can even write anymore, it's been hard for me. But I wanted to write the last of this because at least I will have finished one multi chapter, right? Thank you for reading.