Chapter Eight

Phyllis' POV:

"But...that's impossible" the two guys murmured in sync.

I detected a hint of defiance and anger in Xander's eyes, but I could tell that Xavier wanted to believe me, but didn't dare to.

"Again, delusionallllll" I trilled out lightly, making a circular motion with my finger.

Xander fixed me with a piercing glare.

"How could you tell?" He ground out, "We're identical. No one can tell us apart, except for a few select people who we've known for ages. We've what, known you for an hour?"

"Actually, it's been about 10 minutes since the class first started and I broke your disturbing self-identity crisis conversation..." I commented sweetly, but Xander continued to look distinctly un-amused.

 I rolled my eyes. Boys. 

 "Fine." I snapped, "It's just this...aura, I guess?"

"What aura?" This time, it was Xavier who spoke up.

I sighed, combing my fingers through my hair in frustration. Now they wanted me to explain auras? What, did I look like some middle-age hippie psychic guru or something? It just came naturally to me, like how Xander had been angry and straightforward in his interrogation, while Xavier had been thoughtful and silent. It was an ineffable conclusion that they were so different. And when you felt that two people were different, their looks automatically became more distinct. It was just like that- I couldn't see how they expected me to explain something so......impossible to describe.

I finally just said, "It's like... drinking water."

The twins raised an eyebrow simultaneously.

"You know...", I struggled to explain, "You don't learn to drink water, you just do. It's like that. I can tell the both of you apart easily, but I can't really explain how I do it."

A moment of silence.

I thought this meant that they were going to suddenly understand the great wisdom which I had imparted them, and thank me in gratitude for allowing them to see the great disparity between the duo.

I could see them thinking hard, my little speech having had an impact on them.

I thought my words of wisdom would help them to be saner than when I first met them.

"Witch!" Xander suddenly yelled, pointing an accusatory finger at me, jerking back his chair in alarm. 

Evidently, I thought wrong.

I started laughing uncontrollably, and just shook my head saying, "You guys are hopeless."

I turned my back to them and left them as they stared intently at each other, perhaps trying to send each other silent messages. Well, everyone has their quirks, I guess.

I turned to the guy beside me.

He looked interesting, and saner. (I was quickly finding out that sanity was rather rare in this delinquent school). 

*~*

Xander's POV:

It's impossible-we're identical! Even our parents are sometimes confused between the two of us, much less her. She's probably trying to pull a fast one on us. Well, I'll be watching her.

I tipped back my chair, catching her attention.

I scowled at her, and making it perfectly obvious, shaped my fingers to make a "2" sign, then pointed the sign at my eyes, and swung it in her direction.