Chapter XIX: Urgals

Chapter XIX: Urgals

When we stopped for the day, Eragon and I went off in opposite directions to search for water while Brom made dinner. I closed my eyes and listened, wishing for Istal's ears in order to catch the noise of a creek or spring. Beneath, and between, the trees was gloomy and damp, I shivered in the darkness.

I sighed in frustration, as another five minutes of searching proved futile. I hoped Eragon had more luck before returning to the camp. As I returned to the camp I was met with a tail, I ducked to the ground hoping I wouldn't be caught. Saphira's blue tail just brushed me but I was still swung sideways and into a tree from the momentum. I let out a groan as pain lanced up my body, "Saphira it's me!" I called out, so the dragon wouldn't try to attack me once more.

"Umaroth, is that you?" Brom called out sounding angry.

"Yes," I said, shoving myself to my feet before leaning against the tree as pain shot up my spine.

Sorry, Saphira apologised.

"Did Saphira catch you?"

I closed my eyes and started walking forward, "Just." I said.

Istal! I said, connecting with the familiar mind. My brown stallion appeared next to me and reared.

The bushes opposite me rustled and Eragon leapt out, just in time for Saphira's tail to swing overhead. "Stop. It's me!" Eragon yelled, getting up easily.

I leant against Istal as I moved forward, the pain from my side and back slowly fading. "Oops?" Eragon growled, "You could've killed me! Where are Brom and Umaroth?" Eragon questioned, obviously talking to Saphira mentally.

"I'm right here," Brom snapped, his voice coming from behind Saphira's wings. "Tell your crazy dragon to release me; she won't listen to me."

"I'm over here, I just arrived." I called out, stopping next to Eragon.

"Let him go!" Eragon called out, exasperated. "Didn't you tell him?" Saphira lifted her wings, and Brom stepped forward angrily. "I found an Urgal footprint. And it's fresh." Eragon said.

At those words, I walked over to where I had dumped Istal's stuff and started sadling him. "Saddle the horses. We're leaving." Brom said seriously, putting out the fire. I turned to see Eragon didn't move. "What's wrong with your arm?"

"My wrist is broken," Eragon said.

I cursed and moved to quickly saddle Cadoc, knowing that Istal could be ridden bridleless. I helped Eragn into the saddle as Brom tacked Snowfire up. "We have to put a splint on your arm as soon as possible. For now, try not to move your wrist." I said, handing Eragon his reins which he gripped tightly with his left hand.

"It's almost dark; you might as well fly right overhead." Brom told Saphira, "If Urgals show up, they'll think twice about attacking with you nearby."

They'd better, or else they won't think again, Saphira remarked as she took off. I shoved Istal's bridle in a saddlebag and tied it shut, not thinking about how tangled the leather and iron creation would be later. I mounted Istal, pulling myself up with his mane. Istal tossed his head, knowing the reason for the rush.

The light was disappearing quickly, and the horses were all tired, but Istal went on without complaint. Even though the other two horses were constantly being spurred forward. About a kilometre from the camp, Brom halted. "Listen," he said.

I listened and heard the faint call of a hunting horn behind us. As it fell silent, panic gripped me. "They must have found where we were," Brom said gravely, "and probably Saphira's tracks. They will chase us now. It's not in their nature to let prey escape." Two horns winded, they were closer now. I gulped as a shiver wracked my body. "Our only chance is to run," Brom said before raising his head up to the sky.