Chapter 43: Jay Jonah Jackass

Start from the beginning

"Oh, fine. Yeah, Bruce patched me up and now I'm just headed to shower." I answer, patting the plastic wrap.

"Oh thank God, I didn't want to say anything, but you stink."

"I think you did want to say something." I laugh.

"Maybe." He laughs along with me. "Well I'll let you get to it. You did great today kid." He says, patting my shoulder and walking out. I smile as he closes the door and leaves me. I kick off my boots and take off my arm bands before walking into the bathroom. The bloody washcloth still laying in the sink. I sigh and finish stripping, stepping into the shower and washing the dirt and grime away. I contemplate staying in here for hours. Feel the water run down my body and warm me. But then I feel the gauze slip and become heavy. Yup, okay, time to get out. I step out of the shower, the water turning off and grab the towel. I dry my hair before wrapping the towel around myself and walking to the closet. Not gonna lie, was half expecting Steve to be out here, but I walk out to an empty room. I go to my closet and put on a long sleeve shirt with lace detailing in the shoulders and a pair of black skinny jeans. I also grab a pair of long socks, but leave my boots off as I leave my room.

"Jarvis, is Bruce still in his lab?" I ask upon entering the elevator.

"Yes Jade." The elevator shifts up and I exit once it opens.

"Jade is something wrong?" Bruce asks when he sees me. It seems I interrupted something between Bruce and Peter, who is still here. From the look on Bruce's face I can tell he's glad I came in and put an abrupt end to their conversation.

"Well, no not really, I just wanted to see if this needed replaced." I say lifting up my shirt. With barely a glance, he turns and grabs a pair of scissors and a new roll of gauze. I take a step closer to him and he carefully cuts through the wrap. I can feel Peter watching as I help Bruce wrap the new roll around myself. I don't blame him, it'll leave a gnarly scar.

"Alright, that should be fine. Just take it easy for the time being." Bruce says tying the gauze.

"Okie dokie, thank you" I say with a smile. Bruce returns one and I turn around seeing Peter. He offers a smile and I return one as we both exit and head towards the elevator.

"How do you feel?" He asks.

"Alright, I guess. Better than I thought, but right now I just want to sit with something warm to eat." I say.

"That's good, how does Aunt May's famous meatloaf sound?"

"Awful. What about her pork stew?" I ask.

He laughs, throwing his head back like a kid, and says, "How did you know she made that today?"

I laugh with him as the elevator doors open and say, "I didn't!"

"Well then, would you care to join us for dinner?"

"Of course! Can I?" I say excitedly. We stand in front of the kitchen.

"Yes Jade, I just invited you." Peter says smiling. I roll my eyes and try to shove him, but he grabs my wrists and pulls me closer. "Come on, why don't you go put shoes on and fix all this." He says picking stands of my damp hair and playing with it.

"Okay." I say turning and pulling one of his arms around my shoulders. We walk down the hall to my room and Peter takes a seat on the sofa while I grab my boots.

"Oh, you won't be needing those." Peter says.

"I know, but they're still boots." I respond, sitting down on my bed, slipping them on and tying them. I stand and walk to the bathroom and look under the sink, finding a blow dryer. After about a minute, my hair is dry, but I'm not satisfied with it so I throw on a black beanie. I also add a minimal makeup before walking out.