3. I am her emergency contact (They said)

*****
(Ally said)

"Can you tell me now what is happening?" I asked when Stevie finally stopped crying.

"It's Dana," Stevie answered. I died a little when I heard Stevie say Dana's name. A few minutes ago, Stevie asked me to believe in us. The next thing I know we wererunning to the hospital because something happened to Dana--the same person who caused us to fall apart.

I collected myself. "Was she in an accident? How is she?" I asked.

"I don't know if I could tell you. But you need to trust me on this. I am her emergency contact."

I fell silent. It was another test of trust and I was trying too hard not to fail.

When we got to the hospital, Stevie asked me to stay in the visitors' lounge as she checked on Dana.

"Ally?" A familiar voice asked.

"Lana?" I said. We hugged. It has been a year since I last saw her. "How are you? How's your sister doing?"

"Not good." She started crying.

"What do you mean?"

"She was diagnosed of cancer last year and has refused treatment ever since. She never told us." Lana almost collapsed. I guided her to a chair. "We were just playing Until Dawn earlier when I found her unconscious. I swear she stopped breathing!"

I wrapped my arm around her shoulder as I let her cry on it.

*****
(Stevie said)

As I entered Dana's room, I could hear her laughing. I forced a smile. She hated it when I frown.

"Stevie!" Dana shouted when she saw me. "We've been less than 24 hours apart and I got so weak instantly."

"Stop messing around. The nurse told me you have not slept yet since we arrived," I answered. We shared a hug.

"Well except when they thought I was unconscious. I was just sleeping really. Ha-ha." She joked. "Mom, Dad? You remember Stevie right? We were on the photography tour together."

"Good morning, Mr. and Mrs. Fairbanks." They returned my greeting with a smile.

"We will give you two a minute. Who wants coffee?" her mom asked. We shook our heads then her parents left the room.

"How are you really doing?" I asked.

"Which would you like to know first--the good or the bad news?"

"The bad one."

"Well my family finally found out I am sick."

"Which is not bad at all. They deserve to know it in the first place. What's the good news?"

"The cancer has not progressed and I agreed to undergo chemo."

"Oh my gosh! I am so happy for you!" I hugged her again.

"Thank you, Stevie! When I came home, it made me realize lots of things and one of it is making my life matter for the ones I love and that includes you."

"You already made a difference to my life. I have told you this a thousand times and I will never get tired of telling you."

"You don't have to. I am glad I did and that's why I am letting you go now, Stevie."

******
(Ally said)

"Ally, Dana would like to see you," Stevie said. I checked if she cried again but her eyes looked happier.

"Okay..." I held her hand. "But are you okay now?" She nodded. I kissed her on the cheek.

"Stevie, will you stay please?" I heard Lana asked Stevie. Stevie sat beside her. 

I walked to Dana's room with my heart pounding. I waited for the moment when I could confront her for kissing my girlfriend and getting away with it--and getting away with her.

"Hey Dana," I said.

"Hey Ally," Dana responded. "Have a seat please."

"I just heard. I am sorry."

"I guess I do not have to tell you that part. Anyway... My condition should not stop you from hating me. You have all the right in the world to do so."

"Don't say that. I already stopped hating you long ago and it had nothing to do with your condition. It was exhausting enough wondering when Stevie would come home. Hating you would have sucked out the little I had left. I just used my energy to be better."

"Stevie thought so too. She has always believed that your pure heart would never falter even if you have been stepped on."

"So why do you seriously want he here?"

"I want to come clean now. I was the one who kissed Stevie. I saw you that day but I did not tell her. I was selfish enough to think that if you ever break up, she would come to me. Then you did break up but she never stopped loving you. My only consolation was I got to be with her for a year. But you were never out of the picture. She may never tell you this--she has not missed any of your international concerts. If she had to fly to the other side of the world to see you, she would. She felt guilty for leaving you."

"Oh gosh." I did not see that coming. I felt my cheeks flushed. When I thought Stevie had forgotten about me, there she was--trying to find me even if she would be lost in the crowd.

"I am not sorry for chipping a year from you. I am only sorry for not respecting your relationship that day when I kissed her. The two of you have the rest of your lives to be together. If you are stupid enough and give up easily, it will be your loss, Ally."

"Thank you for telling me these things and thank you for being there for Stevie when I failed to. I already learned my lessons the hard way. I won't let Stevie down ever again."

*****
(Stevie said)

"I am sorry you had to find out this way," I said to Lana.

"We both know Dana well enough. She would keep it to herself if she could," Lana answered.

"I agree. At least she will pursue treatment now. I am glad you talked sense to her. That is what I failed to do."

"It was mostly Mom. I don't think that prick would listen to me at all. Ha-ha. But anyway, Stevie..." I waited but she fell silent.

"Yeah?"

"Is it too late now to say I'm sorry?"

"If this is still about what happened last year, there is no need to. We were all caught in a series of misunderstandings." I held her hand to assure her.

"Thanks... You know what? All this time I have wondered why my sister and Ally have fallen head over heels for you and now I am starting to understand."

*****
(Ally said)

I waited for Stevie outside as she said her goodbyes to Dana and her parents. They will fly to Germany in a couple of days to seek the help of a famous oncologist there.

"Shall we go?" Stevie asked.

"Yeah," I answered. I grabbed her hand and held it tightly as we walked to the parking.

"Thank you for being here with me and for me."

"It's about time, Stevie. It's about time."

"Can I see our babies now?"

"That is where we are going, babe..." I kissed her hand as she gave me the most heartwarming smile. "Home."

*******
Author's Notes:
We have finally closed the Dana-and-Lana substory. Yey!

Please expect more this week because it is Ally's birthday!