C h a p t e r T e n

Start from the beginning

"My apologies, Alpha Hunter." Dylan managed to croak out between spitting blood.

     I released the pressure from Dylan's neck and stood up. As I turned to face my mother I saw a crowd had gathered of kids coming to eat in the huge dining hall. "That goes for all of you. The first sign of disrespect towards my mate, your Alpha, and you will all face the consequences."

"Alpha Hunter," my mother said softly. "How about we talk in the office."

     I let my mother guide me softly by the arm, willing my wolf to calm down. I closed the door behind me and sighed. "Before you say anything Mother, that was necessary. I will not have anyone being disrespectful towards Phoebe. If turn a blind eye to Dylan, what kind of example does that set towards the rest of the pack?"

"So what he said is true," mother asked raising an eyebrow. "She is human?"

"What is so bad about that? She is still my mate and she is just as worthy, if not more, of the Alpha female title than any of the pack females here!" I told my mother firmly. "Phoebe is beautiful and she is clever. She is brave and strong and she will serve this pack as well as any wolf would."

     My mother didn't say anything in reply, she just pulled me in for a hug and rubbed my back, like she used to when I was a pup. It was a comforting gesture, but what I really needed was to see Phoebe, only she would be able to tame my wolf.

"I am so proud of you Hunter," Mother said pulling away from the hug. "You have grown into quite the little Alpha. Your father would have smiled if he saw you this morning. Phoebe is more than welcome in our family. I cannot wait to meet her."

"Actually," I said straightening up, glad for the distraction. "I was going to introduce Phoebe to the pack at the celebration Saturday, so I was hoping to you make it extra special. And, I know we've not done a mating run here before, but I was wondering if you could have that organised too."

"Anything for you my son," my mother smiled warmly at me.

"Oh, and Phoebe has a younger sister, Millie. She is adorable, such a good kid. But I would need you to look after her while Phoebe and I have our mating run." I quickly went on to add; "she really wont be any trouble at all. She is so polite and well behaved. Phoebe has done an amazing job with her."

"It would be no trouble Hunter. Don't you worry, I'll make sure everything is perfect for your mate."

     By the time I finished making plans with my mother for the celebration on Saturday I was late leaving for college. I didn't have time to pick Phoebe up like I had planned so I would just have to meet her there instead.

      When I got to college I noticed Zach and Dylan were already parked up. Zach nodded at me in greeting but Dylan didn't even look up. There was a nice bruise shadowing the left side of his face. I momentarily felt bad about laying into him so heavily, but he should know better. He deserved it, my wolf told me firmly.

     I didn't have time to dwell on it, I wanted to catch Phoebe before class. And had about five minutes to do just that, so I rushed on inside and promised myself I would talk to Dylan later.

     Phoebe was exactly where I thought she would be, stood outside her first classroom. I slowed my pace as I neared to take her in. She really was beautiful. Her hair was in a plait that lay over her shoulder. She was wearing black jeans, brown boots with a small heel and a white jumper. She looked so perfect without trying. I highly doubt she knew just how beautiful she was.

     I'm so lucky to have her, I thought. My pack is lucky to have her.

     As I got closer I realised she was talking to someone. I recognised the girl as Sarah, the girl she was singing with the second time I saw Phoebe. Neither of the girls noticed me until I sneaked a kiss on Phoebes cheek. I felt the air buzz between as I wrapped my arms around Phoebe from behind. She felt so right in my arms, I knew she was made for me, but I didn't realise it would feel this good.

"Good morning beautiful." I said with my signature smirk plastered on my face. I saw Sarah's eyes widen in shock as she realised who I was.

"Hello Hunter," Phoebe smiled. "I must admit, I was slightly surprised not to see you outside my house this morning."

"I didn't want you to start thinking I was stalking you." I bit back a laugh at the look on Sarah's face. "Morning to you too, Sarah."

"Urm," she spluttered. "Think about the dance Phoebe!" Sarah said before rushing off to her class.

     I laughed lightly as Phoebe pushed away from me and smacked my arm.

"That wasn't nice at all." Phoebe scolded wrapping her arms around me.

     I shrugged my shoulders and returned her hug. "Guess I wont be getting any friend points." I felt my wolf instantly calm as Phoebes presence soothed him and allowed myself to forget about this mornings events. My wolf was pleased at how affectionate Phoebe had become over the last day, but part of me was sad knowing that it wasn't a conscious decision of hers, it was just the mating instincts taking over. "What dance was she talking about?"

"Christmas dance," Phoebe responded, shaking her head slightly. "Sarah just cant see how impractical it would be for me to go."

"Do you want to go?" I asked.

"Of course!" Phoebe answered quickly, nodding her head as if to reaffirm it. "But I just can't, not with Millie to look after."

     I nodded, understanding why Phoebe would pass up the opportunity to go have fun to look after her sister. I wonder if my mother would like to look after Millie for a night, I thought to myself. "Are you and Millie still free Saturday?" I asked changing the subject.

"Millie had dance class in the morning, but she finishes up around half twelve. Why?" Phoebe asked pulling out of the hug.

"I'll pick you both up at half one. Wear something nice, your meeting the family remember. And Millie said she wants to wear a pretty dress." I told her just as the bell rang signalling the start of the first lesson. "Half one remember!"

~~~~~~~~~~