PINK, cheeks and lime green

SHAWN
2nd of September, 2014

Camila sits beside me, her hands in her lap. She turns her head to me, signalling me to speak first.

"Ah," I scrunch my nose at how nervous I am, and at how high up the people sitting across me are. How much they earn a year? Do they get upgraded to first class?"Camila and I were wondering if we could end this..." I pause, hands waving as I search for the word, "thing."

David Massey frowns from across the table, "And why is this?"

My mouth goes dry, the air around me thick. Camila steps in, "We believe that it would be good publicity if we staged a breakup." I nod subtly at her, showing she's doing well. "We'll show the media that we're still close friends, and that although we've broken up, we'll stay in contact."

"If they interview us," I continue, "we'll drop subtle hints of a collaboration."

David and his team nod, as if this quick plan of ours created in the lobby is a fabulous one. I feel myself sighing with relief. "Yes," He says, his voice low as he sips at a take-away cup, "but this collaboration better happen."

His voice is tainted with humour and I can't quite work out if he's serious - but part of me doesn't care. This is good.

I step outside, the sun beating through autumn leaves. Camila stands beside me, a triumphant smile spread across her face.

Hannah arrives, and I find myself giddy, the opportunity to introduce Camila as a friend being one that raises my mood higher.

"It's nice to finally meet you," Camila smiles, hugging my best friend, "for so long you've been a fondly spoken of name without a face."

"Fondly, eh?" Hannah smirks, pulling away from the hug. "But honestly, the pleasure is all mine."

Camila looks down at her phone, pressing it to her ear as it rings. "Yes? That's me. Yep." She pauses, offering Hannah a small nod as she hails a cab. "The girls want me back, but it was great meeting you." She then turns to me, her voice a whisper, "Date her, please."

And before I can open my mouth, Camila is hopping into a taxi, her tiny body disappearing with a smirk.

Hannah shrugs, "She seems dope."

I laugh, wasting no time in engulfing her in a hug. I've missed her so much that in the last few days of the tour I found myself wishing for this moment. I hold her, blonde hair cascading everywhere as I pause in the moment and wish for it to last until my final breath. "I have good news."

"Me too, actually," Hannah smiles, "from a while ago." I take her hand in mine, and she's hesitant at first, but I try to stay calm. If I tense, she'll feel how nervous I am.

I lead her to a small cafe on the edge of Toronto and follow her inside. It's covered, in everything from the ceiling to the chair legs, in the colour green. The waitresses wear green that matches the plates and lay with quirky contrast against the lime coloured seats that overlook the grassy courtyard.

"Woah," Hannah's mouth forms the shape of an 'O' as she slides into a lime chair, her eyes darting across the room. They trail everywhere, until eventually, by the time a waitress arrives with two menus, her eyes fall on me. "This is awesome."

"I thought you'd like it," I smile. "They do killer BLT's."

Hannah nods, as if that was all she needed for this place to be deemed her favourite place to eat. The food is a plus, but to Hannah, the atmosphere is everything. I smile at her from across the table as our knees touch.

"So," Hannah says, eyes falling back to mine, "my parents have wanted to buy this building for a while," she's careful with her words, and I wait for her to go on, "but this building requires a lot of work. It's a cafe, and it needs to stay open."

I offer her a lopsided face of confusion, "Oh?"

"My parents decided to shut down their business," She goes on, taking my hand in hers from across the dark green table as she smiles, "it requires them to travel all around the world, and they really just want to stay here."

I nod as she takes a sip of her pink lemonade before continuing, "So they bought this building, which sits prettily among a river both you and I love."

This time it's my mouth that forms an 'O', as I realise the building she's talking about is the cafe by the clearing. "No way."

Hannah shrugs, "They got the keys this morning," She laughs, as if this is all surreal, "I was scared you wouldn't approve."

"No," I reassure, "no that's awesome..." My voice trails off as I come up with an idea. "Can I make a request?"

H raises her eyebrows, "Fire away."

"Muffins."

The girl beside me laughs as a BLT is presented in front of her, "Of course. For you, I'll request every flavour imaginable."

I smile at this, catching glances of her face. I find myself tracing the shape of her eyes on my leg, mesmerised by the simplistic beauty of them as we allow the silence among us to loom until we've finished our meals. Han disappears to pay, and I'm nervous all over again.

"Wanna go for a walk?" I ask as she returns, "I still haven't told you my news."

My best friend smiles, her bright eyes lighting up as my fingers find their way back to hers.

"Camila and I," I say, following beside her as she leads me through the bustling line of shops, "we asked for the fake dating shit to end."

She stops, her feet firmly planted to the ground as she turns to me, "And they said yes?"

"They said yes." I confirm, catching a smile as I bite my bottom lip. I let go of her hand and stick my arms out with elation.

Hannah laughs, throwing her hands above her head as she twirls. Her skirt flows as she spins, and I refuse to blink, because I don't want to miss a second of her glory.