The Devil's Angel - Chapter 21

Start from the beginning

"Don't place the blame in me because you are a rubbish driver. My poor red tank is bruised and hurting now." I teased, my eyes never straying far from the world outside of the moving vehicle.

The car turned into the road my house sat upon so fast that skid marks branded the rad and clouds of white smoke erupted where the wheels met pavement. I jolted forwards at the abrupt stop, the seatbelt locking so that I was almost strangled when my entire body was thrown forwards by the belt would not let me move anywhere.

"Hey, do you mind? I would like to at least live long enough to kick Victor's sorry arse to Tartarus and back. I can't do that if you keep trying to kill me with this car." I chastised, releasing the seatbelt and then rubbing the abraded skin on my neck and chest where the belt had caught me. "Now, I'll head on inside while you try and find a parking space for the beast."

I almost laughed at the look of frustration on his face. We were on a permit holder's only road and there was no way he had had the time to get any permits we possessed transferred across to the new vehicle. He was a man of action, not a man who enjoyed admin and it was coming back to bite him on the backside.

Inside the house, I was immediately swarmed by people. It amazed me that I had managed to amass so many loyal and genuine people around me. Where it had once just been Danny, Mari and Me; I had an entire family of angels fallen and not, human and some not, just there for me because I might need their love and support. It was strange how life worked out this way.

"Are you okay?"

"Do you need to sit down?"

"What happened?"

I didn't say a thing, just accepted the hugs as they were given to me, desperate for the comfort in light of what was to come.

Lucius arrived quietly, his blue eyes watching me sadly as he watched me get pulled from one bear hug to another. Even Caspar, who shied away from skin to skin contract with anyone but Ms Bridger, came forwards and tugged me into a side hug. He refused to look at me the entire time our bodies were touching. He was uncomfortable but I appreciated the gesture nonetheless.

"Now, do you care to explain to everyone else what you just told me in the corner." Lucius ordered when the emotions had started to settle in the room.

He had folded his arms across his chest and he was stood at the head of the room looking every bit the commanded with his stiff back and imperious glance.

"Victor Lyle is behind the attacks. Don't ask how I know, we can go over that later." I waved a hand through the air to shush Lucius. "Now excuse me for a moment because there is more."

When Lucius opened his mouth to ask questions, I plunged a hand into my cleavage and rummaged around for the scrap of paper hidden within the depths of my bosom.

"I also saw someone else at the prison, the last person I thought I was going to see." Holding out the folded piece of paper to Lucius, I waited until he had taken the square from my hands before continuing. "I saw Star."

Eyes widened, several of the fallen started to mutter amongst themselves.

"Where is she Savannah?"

"She's gone to do her thing. She gave me that and said that it was a map. She said we need to follow the map or at least implied we should have been following the map all along."

Lucius carefully unfolded Star's paper ever so slowly and with reverence. His lips pulled up at the corners as his eyes devoured to the dots and lines drawn on to the paper.

"You're such a clever girl." He praised, his eyes never leaving the page while his smile just got bigger and bigger.

"What is it?" I asked, stepping closer so I could try and view the page as he was. I was no closer to deciphering what it was that the paper contained or what clues there were supposed to give us.