XXX. A Different Kind of Free

Start from the beginning

He just nodded. There was no use arguing. If he had to do something where she was concerned in the future, he'd know where to find her.

*****

"Good," she said, nodding her head. No one moved. Their eyes just remained locked, both seemingly afraid to do something.

"But where will you go, Des?"

She knew that whenever he called her that, he was trying to make her feel somehow emotionally attached to him. Theo was playing something and Desiree was afraid he might just win.

"I'll go straight to the police and tell them I didn't kill Jam."

He cocked his head to the right. "Do you think they'll believe you?"

"They should," she shrugged. "They should because I didn't do it. You know that."

"But I won't be there to tell them that. You know I can't."

"Then I'll find another way. And I have my work—"

"Petroff is your boss," he cut in.

Her spirit was feeling betrayed. "You're cannot convince me to stay, Theo."

"Yes, I will, Desiree, because," he said, standing up, his voice firm and sure, "if you go out there, you'll be as good as dead. Have you seen the news lately?"

She blinked. No, she didn't.

"They think you did it. The police don't even have to say anything and people had readily assumed that you did. Because you disappeared. You ran away."

"I did not run—"

"That's what everybody thinks you did. How do you suppose you can do convince everyone you are innocent if—"

"Then I'll just not go back. I can go somewhere else. I can go to another state. I don't have to be Desiree again. I can be—"

"And you know you won't like that."

She was angry now, but she found herself too tired to even raise her voice. She just sagged her shoulders and asked, "Why are you doing this, Theo? We had a deal."

"And I'll give you your freedom," he said, sitting right back in his chair. "I will give you your freedom but I'm telling you, Desiree...once you go back, you'll be on your own."

"What are you trying to say?"

A smile that did not reach his eyes formed on his face as he leaned back with his arms crossed over his chest. "Stay for a few months while we try to figure everything out."

"Theo, I need to—"

"You can do whatever the hell you want as long as you stay out of public eye. You can do pretty much everything you want both up and underground."

"Why?" She didn't have to elaborate because Theo wasn't stupid and he knew what she was trying to ask.

"Because we have to make sure that you won't be dragging our names with you if you fall. And that will surely happen if you go out there now. Sooner or later they will know where you've been and we can't have that now. Richard and I have plans and we won't be able to execute them if we'll have people tailing us everywhere. Richard's name is not even a mystery to them anymore. If you go out there," he pointed with his finger, "you will be ruined. And we will be ruined even before we throw our old man out on the streets."

Desiree remained silent, absorbing everything.

"If you stay here, we can try to solve Jamaica's murder. Someone from underground must have wanted her dead. If you stay here just a bit longer, we can work your papers, cook up a good alibi for you, solve the murder and clear your name and..." he waved with his hand, "you can have your life back. You won't be a suspect any longer, not if you have a killer to point or serve to the police. You won't be subjected to any scandal because you will have the best alibi. And if you think you want a different life, we can give you that. We can fix you your papers, fly you to another country, get you a different job—you name it. All you have to do is just stay while we smooth things out for you," he finished and quickly added, "and us." His demeanor had changed because he was not smiling at her. The bastard knew he was winning.