Remote Influencing

"Meldrick mentioned what you're already capable of and it's astounding, my dear. I think you're ready to learn the skill."

"The skill?" asked Ava.

"The skill. It's the skill that will most likely determine the result of the battle. Let me show you."

Aunt Sybilla wrote something on a piece of paper. Then remained still for a few moment looking at Ava intently. Finally Ava brushed her shoulder.

"Here, read this," said aunt Sybilla handing Ava the piece of paper.

Ava will brush off an imaginary fly off her shoulder.

"Amazing!" cried Ava. "How did you do that?"

"It's called remote influencing. You choose your target and watch their every move. If they move their head, or an arm, you visualize that it was you moving that head or arm. After a brief period of concentration you will be able to build up resonance with the mind of the person you want to influence. Then imagine an outside event happening to them. I imagined a fly sitting on your shoulder. And your reaction was instant - you brushed it off."

"Now I want to try!" Aunt Sybilla laughed at her niece's eagerness. She handed her the piece of paper. Ava scribbled something on it. Then she sat still and started staring at aunt Sybilla. She kept staring for a while and then Ava's demeanor changed from enthusiastic to disappointed.

"What is dear, show me the paper," requested Sybilla. Aunt Sybilla will squint her eyes as if seeing direct sunlight.

"It takes time, darling," comforted her Sybilla, "and when you master this skill you will become truly powerful on the battle field."

"How?" wondered Ava.

"Remote influencing can be used to do a lot of good. For example, you can use it for psychic healing. You can affect another person's body cells at a distance. What you need to do is visualize with deep intensity the cells in that person's body becoming well and normalized."

"Simple and powerful," admired Ava.

"Indeed. The key is mental imagery. You have to be able to visualize imagery well, and imagine feelings. The most difficult period is in the beginning. You have to watch for every small indication that you are exerting some influence on the other person, and then build upon that."

"Mmm," murmured Ava.

"You have to become aware that what you think and what you feel is changing the world outside yourself. Your thoughts have energy. When you intently focus these thoughts they develop a resonant energy. Then when you direct this resonance toward one particular person with absolute single-minded intensity that energy will impact on that target person and affect them."

Ava nodded.

"There is also some risk involved in this method," frowned Sybilla. "If the person you're affecting is expert in mental influencing as well, and realizes that you're trying to influence them, your efforts could backfire and your target could strike back permanently damaging that part of your brain which is doing the influencing." Sybilla paused. "If not more."

Ava felt a chill down her spine. "Is that what happened to Mom?" asked Ava.

"Yes, those Xemilx are as evil as they are cunning. They posses many of the powers we do, only that they use them for evil instead of for good."

"Here you are ladies," said Meldrick to Ava and Sybilla. "How is the reunion going?"

"Aunt Sybilla tried to teach me remote influencing but I'm just not feeling it," complained Ava.

"It takes time," said Meldrick, "maybe even more time than we have. Have you tried with the neckless?"

"You've got the neckless?" asked Aunt Sybilla.

"Yes," said Ava taking her pearls out of a drawer and clasping them around her neck.

"Try again," instructed aunt Sybilla. Ava scribbled on a piece of paper. She closed her eyes then opened them staring at her target intently. Then all of a sudden Meldrick was waving his hand in front of his nose.

"Interesting," said Aunt Sybilla, "let's see what you've written." Meldrick will brush off an imaginary fly flying in front of his nose.

"Good job!" cheered Meldrick.

"The neckless is still working," whispered aunt Sybilla. "So, the two of you..." said Aunt Sybilla clearing her throat.

Ava shoved her sparking diamond in front of her aunt's face.

"Be blessed," she said.

***

"I feel a certain calm before the storm," confided Ava in her husband-to-be.

"I can feel it too," said Meldrick.

"Do you have any news from Earth or from the Xemlix?" asked Ava.

"No changes, but as you say, it's a matter of days or maybe even hours. Would you like to come with me to my secret spot on the Lapo Princess?" asked Meldrick.

"This time you will come over to mine," said Ava pulling them both from their state of melancholy.

"I can't wait to see it," said Meldrick.

Ava led him through the splendid corridors out to the open deck. She took his hand and walked briskly towards the front of the ship.

"Here," she whispered pulling him close to her. They were standing at the bow of the majestic Lapo Princess.

"I love the warm breeze caressing my face, the sparkling purple waters below, the sun rising or setting and the distant horizon humming gently that everything is possible, every wish can be granted, every goal achieved, every dream fulfilled."

"I love it," said Meldrick. "I love you, Ava Davenport," he said in his deep soothing voice, embracing her tightly, running his hands through her hair and locking his lips onto hers.

"Mmm," said Ava when he loosened his embrace, "this spot just got more magical."

"Your little friends seem to agree," said Meldrick pointing at a group of mengos jumping up and down in the sparkling purple waters beneath them.

"I've grown quite fond of these little fellows," admitted Ava.

"And they have clearly grown fond of you, my love. As have I," said Meldrick looking deep into her eyes.

"I wish this moment could last forever," said Ava.

"The moment won't, but we will," said Meldrick and his voice cracked. "I hope," he added.

"Are you scared of the battle? Asked Ava.

"No, we can't allow ourselves to be scared. We need to go there with the mindset of warriors sure of their victory. The Xemlix need to sense our confidence, our superiority. It's mostly a battle of minds, my love, although the Xemlix can devise all kinds of plans including physical manifestations to achieve their goal."

"How long has it been this way? With the Xemlix wanting to enslave Earth?" wondered Ava.

"Since I remember," said Meldrick. "I know that they've enslaved other planets in the past. They can live off one planet's fear for centuries but sooner or later the beings there can't take living this way any longer and...they either kill one another or suicide themselves."

"It's terrible," sighed Ava.

"And about to end. You, my love, are the one that can end this. Together we will get rid of those cruel beings once and for all."