The Clone

"You're in good hands, Ava," said Meldrick handing her a helmet with 20 cables of different colors connected to a huge machine.

"Copying Ava Davenport's mind will start in 3, 2, 1...start," said the computer.

After everything Ava's been through she trusted Meldrick unconditionally. She sat on a comfortable chair with her helmet on observing the scientists at the computer.

"This is the easy part," said Meldrick. "There's no risk in the process of copying a mind itself."

"Where's the risk then?" asked Ava intrigued.

"Once we have your mind on the disk the scientists need to copy the right elements. If they copy too little, the clone will not act the way you do raising suspicions. If they clone too much, the clone might become so autonomous that we will not be able to control it."

"Can you control the clone?" wondered Ava.

"Yes, of course. That's one of the primary purposes we create one. We can see through its eyes, just the way the Xemlix see through their slaves' eyes."

"Like Victor?" asked Ava.

"Exactly and if the process ends successfully we can send electric impulses directly to its brain to force its actions. So the critical part is the transfer of your mind from the computer to the clone."

After exactly 30 minutes the head scientist said,

"Thank you, Miss Davenport. No action is required on your part at this moment."

"No problem," said Ava. "Can I see the clone before you do the transfer?"

The scientists looked at Meldrick for confirmation. Meldrick nodded.

"Yes, just a minute."

They rolled in a slim fair-skinned figure with rich blond hair, blue eyes, perfect eyebrows, full pink lips and slightly colored cheeks.

"Whoa!" said Ava. "It looks exactly like me." The scientists seemed pleased with the comment.

"Now, if you will excuse us, Miss Davenport, we have work to do."

"Of course," said Ava and left the room accompanied by Meldrick.

"Ava, I should monitor this process, please make yourself at home, take a walk around the ship, relax, make friends, I'll get back to you as soon as I can."

"Of course," Ava gave him a shy smile as he planted a little kiss on her lips.

That was a lot to take in for one morning. Having her mind copied felt weird but on the bright side, she had a backup. Just like people back up their computers, they should also back up their mind every now and then, she thought.

This was her second day in the Lapo dimension and Meldrick already trusted her to wander around all by herself - just like he did as a child, she smiled. I'd better not get in trouble! She thought.

Ava decided to take a stroll on the open deck to see the places that appeared so magical last night. She wondered what they would look like in day light.

She took a deep breath when she pushed the golden doors open. The sun was shining, reflecting in the purple waters. The purple was however less intense, more lavender. She walked over to the spot where they kissed for the first time. She leaned on the rail for support, closed her eyes recalling the magical moment and smiled. It felt wonderful.

Suddenly an orange dolphin jumped out of the water. A mengo! Ava thought.

"Hey boy, how are you?" She was almost sure it was the one from last night. The mengo continued jumping up and down squeaking as if trying to tell her something but she had no idea what all this was about. I wish I could talk to him, she thought.