Chapter 17: The Beach (Part 3)

Start from the beginning

                When I finally figured it out, I pouted. “No I don’t!”

                “You do, Jenn, don’t deny it,” Niall smirked, showing me the screen of his phone.

                There I was, leaning against the tree, with my head lolling to the side and the tiniest bit of drool leaking out at the corner of my mouth. Not cute at all, in my opinion.

                “Delete it,” I whined when Niall pulled back the phone.

                “Never,” he whispered, grinning at me. Which reminds me; I haven’t apologized to him yet about what happened earlier. I wonder how he’s still smiling at me even after that. I’ll have to remember to later. I’ll have to.

                “So why are you all here?” I asked them, finally realizing that there was no reason for them to be among these trees like this.

                “Well, you just disappeared. Wouldn’t you expect us to come looking for you?” noted Louis.

                “Meh,” I replied.

                “What do you mean, ‘meh’?” said Harry, crossing his arms.

                “Why do you all care, anyways?” I muttered, folding my arms over my knees and rested my head there.

                “What kind of question is that?” said Liam, his voice rising, “Of course we care! Why would you even begin to think that we don’t?!”

                “’Cause,” I mumbled into my arms.

                “’Cause wha – “ Zayn started, “Oh.”

                “What is it?” Harry asked.

                I pressed my eyes against my arms.

                “She thinks that we’re disgusted with her,” said the voice of Niall, “How many times do I have to tell you that we don’t think that, Jenn?”

                “As many times as it takes for her to believe it,” said Liam, crouching down to be on the same level as me.

                “Jennifer, love,” Liam’s insistent voice went, “Listen to me. We do NOT think that. None of us think that.”

                “Then why were you all staring at me?” My voice was muffled.

                “We were just surprised, that’s all.”

                “Surprised,” I said flatly, bringing my eyes back up to everyone else’s, “Surprised at how disgus – “

                “No, Jenn, no!” Louis shouted, “We were surprised at your awesomeness!”

                I stared at him blankly. What kind of absurd logic was that?

                “I’m jealous, Jenn!” Louis continued, “I wish I could have a burp like yours. It was amazing! Even better than Niall’s, I think.”

                “HEY!” Niall protested.

                “The truth is the truth,” Louis shrugged.

                “I wish every other girl was like you,” Harry said, “I hate when they try to suppress a burp to act all girly and all, just to impress the boy. I think when you let it out, it’ll break whatever tension that has just developed. Girls with small burps don’t have enough spirit.” He looked pointedly at Danielle.