Who She Is (1)

Throughout her short life, she had always had her teachers come to her. She'd never set foot in a school because her parents wanted to give her the best education, so public school was obviously out. Instead, they paid for tutors they had hand picked and forced her to learn with them, accepting no arguments. They didn't seem to care that she would never be able to have any friends if she couldn't even go to school.

Zelda had eventually worn her parents down, finally convincing them to let her go to an actual school when she was eighteen. Which meant she got to start her senior year IN AN ACTUAL HIGH SCHOOL. She had been so excited; it was so boring being trapped in their mansion day in day out, 'for her own safety.' Staring at those walls had begun to make her sick.

Never having lacked in the brains department, even before her tutelage began, she didn't think that school would be anything to stress over. Her parents were paranoid about her being 'out there' but Zelda tried not to let it get to her. She didn't see where the danger would be in going to school. Zelda knew she could handle herself, and she greatly looked forward to the opportunity to do so. She was so ready to go into the REAL world; the one she could barely see outside their property.

School was an exciting opportunity to make friends with people who weren't servants! .... or so she had thought... Reality swiftly taught her it's harsh lesson about what the 'real' world was really like. Zelda couldn't even make it through her first day before her excitement about school had been shattered.

That day did, however, mark the death of the endless monotony she had always been subject to, and the beginning of a new chapter in her life. And that chapter would have been titled - "the day Zelda found out that jerks exist."

Yeah, the first day into school and the resident bullies had already picked her out of the lineup. What was it about her that just screamed: "PICK ON ME"? Was it her blonde hair? Her enthusiasm to be there? Did she look like she had never left her house before? - cause that was painfully true.

Their bullying had never escalated to anything more than rude shoving in the hallway or their painfully unoriginal words shouted from afar. Yet there were times when she had been so close to using her self-defense training - but a teacher ALWAYS happened to turn up right before she could do anything. Their 'interventions' annoyed her - why the heck did they always turn up when she didn't want to be saved?

It was as if the whole establishment was against her. She had reported the bullies the day they had started on her, but the faculty hadn't done a blessed thing about it. Everyone avoided her too; she was marked as a target for the bullies and everyone knew it. No one wanted to get caught in the crossfire. And now there she was, months into the school year and completely alone.

"Oi! Teacher's pet!"

Well.... Not completely. Zelda sighed as she considered just ignoring the voice and going about her day - but a part of her also wanted to get into a fight with them. And unfortunately, it wasn't just a small part of her. Having such a boring life led her to enjoy moments of conflict; she loved using her wits and training to dance her way through hostile situations. So she turned to look at the three boys standing in the empty hall. They were just a few of the students who liked to pick a fight with her. She folded her arms across her chest. "What are you three idiots doing here after hours?"

The boy in the middle was the leader of the group, and her eyes fixed on him. He bristled for a moment at her insult. "Watch your mouth, pet," he warned as he thrust his chin upwards.

Zelda moved her arms behind her, throwing her shoulders back as she stood tall; showing off her lack of fear. "You don't scare me."

"So you say," he replied, narrowing his eyes. "You got any money with you?"