S2 C3: Helping One Another

Minerva glanced back in worry. "Will Erza be okay?" she murmured, her eyebrows furrowing anxiously.

"Erza will be fine," Mira attempted to assure them. "I've known her for years. She won't give up, no matter what."

At the 'no matter what' part, her voice wavered a bit. 'No matter what' pretty much means she'll defeat that dragon even if she sacrifices her life, Lucy thought bitterly. Exchanging unconvinced glances, the rest of the group continued onward. "Those must be the claws and fire," Wendy murmured, then suddenly shrieked, keeling over and writhing on the ground with strangled gasps.

"What's wrong, Wendy?" Juvia yelped, dropping to the ground beside her and examining the young Dragon Slayer.

"Burns," Lucy stated matter-of-factly after observing Wendy's charred skin. "Somehow, the flames got to her. This is the true terror of Zeref's kingdom - a sacrifice at every turn."

Wendy struggled to stay conscious. "I'll manage," she gasped bravely.

Lucy nodded, touching her palm to Wendy's burns. "This will help to ease the pain," she told her. "Stay strong, Wendy."

"No matter what, you must survive," Juvia urged Lucy. "I'll stay with Wendy-chan."

"I'll help Erza," Rogue insisted. "I am a Dragon Slayer, after all." With a farewell smirk, he disappeared into the shadows and raced to aid Erza.

"Come on," Minerva muttered, clearly distressed. "Let's continue."

Orga skidded to a halt in front of a yawning black hole. "I hate tunnels so much!" he whined. However, with a sigh, he slid into the hole.

They walked in darkness, feeling the walls for a sense of direction. "Hey, do you-" Orga began, but was cut off.

"Uh oh," Mira breathed, "There are traps."

The journey through the twisting, seemingly neverending tunnels was harsh. By the time they emerged into the light, the few survivors were bedraggled and panting with exhaustion. Minerva had been lost to the barrier trap, Rufus to the water trap and Sting to the strange portal trap. Only Lucy and Mira were left.

They eyed the winding black staircase apprehensively. "Let's go," Lucy said.

Halfway up the the stairs, it crumbled and fell away, revealing the blue sky, leaving Mira to drop down from over twenty storeys high. She fell through the air, screaming.