Chapter 9

Law left her in the infirmary and came out. He met Sachi in the hallway. "Is she okay, Captain?" he asked with a worried expression/ "Yes, now care to explain?" Law asked him. At the time he just entered the scene and took Rin away, he never knew what was happening.

"I..." Sachi said, his whole body shaking and fear in his eyes. "I was just flirting with some girls, that's all!! I didn't do anything wrong! Yes, the so called 'God' of the island got angry...and...and I saw a slash coming my way... But before I knew it, Rin appeard! And...and she fell down and there was blood coming from her back....it's not my fault is it?! I did nothing wrong...did I?" He looked Law, begging. 

"Please, let her be okay..." he murmured looking down. 'I wish that too' 

Law put his hand on Shachi's shoulder. "It's not your fault," he said, "gather the crew. It's time to teach God a lesson for messing with my crew. Tell them it's time to kick some holy asses." He smirked. But immediately after that, he thought 'Whether I like it or not, I have to ask her some questions after this'

------

"Hey, Rin-ya?" Law asked her. It was around night time. Law was on his study table reading a new medical book he found on that last island. It's beeen some days since they left the place, and of course, completely destroying 'God' too for hurting Rin and getting praised by the villagers. Rin was lying on the bed. She was mostly healed now.

"Yes?" she asked. "I've got some questions to ask" said Law," care to answer?" She went up in a sitting position, "Why not?" Law brought the chair from his study table beside the bed on Rin's left side, the bed's right side. 

"What," he began,"exactly happened in your childhood?"

Rin looked at Law blankly. "You want to know my past?" she asked. Law nodded. "Which one?" she asked looking at Law with straightforward eyes. "What do you mean 'which one'?" Law asked, clearly confused. "You see," she said, "I ate this devil fruit-" she got interrupted by Law. "Devil fruit? Which one is it?" he asked.

"The Kio Kio no Mi, also known as Memory Memory Fruit," she answered. "Continue" he said.

"With this fruit I can know anyone and everyone's memories, as well as alter them (even dead people). I can make you forget something, or add something in your mind. I can even make someone forget they ever existed. But it has a drawback... If I want to know anyone's memory, I have to live through it. No matter how hard or cruel their childhood has been, I live through all of it. I have experience of living all through the person's memories of even 40 years, but in the real world only a second has passed. And I've lived through countless ones, and so I have countless memories. And it's a wonder I still survive after dying so many times in my memories. 

They were painful and I felt exactly what I should have felt if I were there. For example, there was this man. He was accused of something he didn't do. He was innocent. But still the people killed him even though there was no solid evidence to back up the accusations. They actually tortured him first; broke some of his fingers and limbs. But he -I mean I- didn't confess. So they made me sit in a position with my head on a table and there was this helmet kind of thing pressed on my head. And each second, it would come down and crush my head. At first my teeth broke, and my jaw and mouth were bloody. I was dead but they still continued. Funny how you can feel what happened to your body even after you died. I don't think that that actual man felt that though. The iron helmet came down faster. And my eyes popped out of from their sockets. It continued until my brain was completely crushed. 

There was another girl. She was a an orphan. But she was happy working at a coffee shop. One day she met a guy there, and they fell in love. We were girlfriend and boyfriend and we were really happy. And then and me got married. Soon I was pregnant. But then...then he said "I'm done with you, it's about time I return to my real life. It was fun playing with you but time's up. We're over" and we divorced. I was heart broken. My current situation doesn't affect any of the memories -in the memories I feel exactly the same feelings the person felt. And I was broken. And left behind. My heart shattered into a million pieces and was scattered everywhere on the floor. You see, even if I did somehow manage to get over it after a dozen of sake nights, I still had no money to support the child that was growing inside of me. So I had no other option, I had to abort it. I destroyed the life of the child. I destroyed the life of the child of the man I used to love. And it was horrible. The guilt, the feels, the emotions and then I spent the rest of my life in sorrow and regret. There was no one. I had no parents, no siblings and no friends either. I changed my carrier and became a prostitute, but still nothing. There was no place in the world where I gained happiness, and to top it off I was all alone. There's more if you want to- " she said but was interrupted by a hand over her mouth.

Law stared at her. "That's enough" he said. 'My own f*cked up childhood almost drove me insane, and she lived through countless of them? And even more painful ones?'

"Do you know mine too?" he asked. "Uh huh" she said and nodded.  

"Honestly," she said, "honestly, I don't think anybody would've survived till now if they were me. I'm lucky. I have a really fragile body but a strong mind, I guess. I actually tried, you know, to pass all my memories to one single soul a lot of times. But every time they either seemed to panic and shout and pass out, or just go blank. I even added 20 years into their life so they could adjust to the feeling but they still had the same reaction"

"But you surely have memories of your own right? You did have a childhood of your own," Law said. She nodded her head. "Say it," he ordered. He came this far, there's no turning back now.

To be continued...