CHAPTER 41 | falling apart

📎A/N .. It's that time again... the next installment of Buried. :-)

It has been a while since I had a look on my Wattpad map. Since I gave you the last rundown, we have been joined by : Haiti, Peru, Paraguay, Malawi, Uganda, Morocco, Russia, Ukraine, Bulgaria, Bosnia and Herz., Luxembourg, Estonia, Kazakhstan, Tajikistan, Nepal, Myanmar and New Caledonia.

Welcome to you all :-) It always astounds me how many people from such diverse places across the globe are reading my story. I am so very humbled by the experience.

I hope you enjoy the chapter. Don't forget to vote, and thanks for your support :-)

Take Care.

❤ ℳ 

❧ ⚛ ✺ ≋ ≋ ≋ ≋ ≋ ✺ ⚛ ❧

Kaitlyn's guilt and panic rose with each mile they got closer to Boston. With each mile she was closer to confirming her worst fears. Her mind was sifting through every scenario. Each time it ended with the same outcome. She was finding it difficult to breath.

As she came close to breaking point, Murphy reached over to squeeze her hand. From the corner of her eye, she could see the concern as his brows knitted in a frown. "We don't know for certain," Murphy said, "She could have gotten caught up anywhere from Florida to here."

From his tone, she knew he knew more than he was letting on. But in her addled state she wasn't willing to call him on it. Kaitlyn spent the remainder of the drive to Boston alternating between complete denial and hope. She was thankful that Murphy managed to get them back to the city in record time. However, the last few miles seemed to last forever. She was out of the door before he had brought the SUV to a halt, and in the building before the engine had been turned off. Her mind on the single thought she needed to put to rest.

Joshua caught her before she could enter her apartment. Concern etched on his face as he held her back. "I need to warn you before you go in," he began as he pulled her closer. "It looks worse than it actually is."

Kaitlyn let out an anguished cry as she tore herself from his protective embrace and raced the short distance to her apartment. She stopped the moment she cleared the doorway.

Liam, in the middle of replacing her broken lock, halted what he was doing and shifted his gaze between Kaitlyn and his mate. Clearly unsure on how to proceed. Molly, who had been sitting on the couch, rose and made her way across the room.

Kaitlyn's chest tightened as her eyes continued to lock onto the object that had every cell in her body screaming. Everything else in the room dulled. The people, the noise - everything. The only thing that was vivid and clear was an upturned blue suitcase. A bright lime green scarf tied to its extendable handle that was now resting on the floor. Her legs, as with the rest of her body, refused to work properly and gave way. Before she could fall, a pair of comforting, strong arms caught Kaitlyn.

A moment later, Murphy had turned her to him and rested her head on his chest so that she could no longer see the evidence that proved her mother had been there. The green scarf had been a gift to her mother a few years before.

The initial shock and numbness began to wear off, and Kaitlyn started to be aware of her surroundings. Her hearing began to pick up sound. At first, as if from a distance; then quickly coming closer, clearer and louder.

Finding her feet, she pulled away from Murphy's chest and looked up at him. He was searching her face as he met her gaze. Kaitlyn recognised anguish and pain as he continued to drill into her soul, waiting for her to give him a sign she would be all right. She squeezed her eyes shut and let out a tortured breath.