CHAPTER 48 | ashes to ashes

📎A/N. There is a new little M in the world.. Yipee!!! **hands out the cigars** I have a brand spanking new niece and one of her middle names is named after me!!!

I hope you enjoy the chapter :-)

Take care and thanks for your support.

  ❤ ℳ 

❧ ⚛ ✺ ≋ ≋ ≋ ≋ ≋ ✺ ⚛ ❧

Murphy closed his eyes and raised his face to the morning sun. Kaitlyn's words echoed like a mantra and wrapped around him like a soft blanket.

June's soul will no longer suffer the torment of knowing the person who separated you lives.

He felt his cheeks tighten as a faint smile ghosted across his hardened face. Still with his eyes closed he sighed.

June my love, I pray that's true and hope you can move on knowing I kept my promise.

A light gust of wind rose. Its sudden appearance chilled the air, which began to vibrate with anticipation. The dust and dry leaves at his feet, torn from their resting place, swept around his legs in a flurry. The cool breeze danced and rushed up his body until it skimmed across his face with a gentle caress that could almost be mistaken for a kiss.

It's time. We must move on and face a future so very different from the one that we planned together.

The heavyweight Murphy had carried for decades fell and scattered to the four winds. The last remaining strand that tethered him to his past gave way and he let it go without hesitation. There was no thought to reach out and grab the last remaining connection he had to his dead mate.

Just know that there will be a part of my heart that will always carry you with me.

Murphy heard the mournful howl of his wolf as it too said its farewell. While his wolf had recovered from their mate's loss much sooner than he had, it none-the-less still felt the long lost ghost of their bond.

They had avenged their mate's death. They had kept their promise.

Murphy's inner demons rose to the fore and began to play on his ever-growing guilty mind. A sensation that had been festering for some time.

Why do I feel as though I've already moved on?

For decades, his only purpose for living was to bring about Elijah's death. So why was it when it was in his grasp, he gave the kill to Kaitlyn? What disturbed him the most was that he couldn't blame his wolf. They both made the decision together. There was no question, it felt right to gift her the closure she had been after since childhood.

Why was her need for closure so much more important than my own?

Kaitlyn expressive face swam to the forefront of his mind and he opened his eyes to discover she was now in the restrooms, cleaning up before going to the hospital to ensure her mother was okay.

Not wanting to over analyse the murky waters where his thoughts were wading towards, Murphy headed towards Tim's car to retrieve the extra clothing, as well as his personal belongings. Tim, already anticipating what Murphy was after, had placed most of the items on the grass verge.

"Get Kaitlyn to the hospital and get straight back here," he said as he approached the car. "We need to work out what happened and get Danny and Jose's bodies back. I'm not leaving them behind."

"Who the hell were they?" Tim asked as he handed Murphy his phone.

Murphy pocketed it and his mouth set into a grim line. "That's what we need to find out."