CHAPTER 23 | who let the dogs out?

📎A/N.  Thank you all so very much for your well wishes... It must have worked ...  the medication appears to be working (cross your fingers) :-)

As promised, here is the next chapter.. let me know what you think ;-)

Don't forget to vote.. it's really easy.. just click the star :-)

Take care, and thanks for your continued support.

  ❤ ℳ  

❧ ⚛ ✺ ≋ ≋ ≋ ≋ ≋ ✺ ⚛ ❧

"Did you get the feeling she's a little too rehearsed and slippery?" Kaitlyn asked as they exited the shop and headed back in the direction they had parked the Escalade.  Throwing him a sly look she teased, "Or were you otherwise occupied - sweetie?"

During their interview with the Laundromat owner, she'd felt Murphy's scepticism and irritation growing with each moment that passed.  She had to give him credit.  He had managed to contain himself, and not make it too obvious that he was not impressed with Desdemona's overt suggestions, and the constant need to touch the very male F.B.I. Agent.

Not that she could blame the woman.  She had to admit her partner did turn heads.  It had taken all her self-control to not lash out at the shop owner, after she had run her hands over Murphy's suit jacket one too many times,  claiming that she could offer him a 'fantastic discount on his dry-cleaning,' and that, 'she had extensive experience in dealing with high-quality clothing such as his'.

At that point, during the conversation, Kaitlyn had to bite her tongue before the words 'I just bet you do' flew from her mouth.  They needed answers, and their money launderer appeared more than happy to talk to Murphy.  Exclusively.

"What did your Spidey senses tell you?" Kaitlyn asked, referring to the photos they had shown her.

"She knew four of the other vics.  But she was truthful when she said she didn't know why her ex-husband was being targeted.  She is, however, nervous about something.  My guess - Elijah got the wrong Des."

Kaitlyn considered his assessment, which backed up the direction her train of thought had been headed.  "So, we can safely assume that Elijah is after something, or someone, that he believes these people can give him.  The question is; did he get the information and then kill them?  Or did he kill them because they couldn't give him the answers?"

"I suspect with the late Mr Crispin, it's the latter," Murphy answered flatly.

Just as they reached the car, Kaitlyn noticed a card was poking out of Murphy's pocket.  Remembering how it got there, she could not resist teasing him again.  "So, you going to call her?"

The quizzical look thrown at her told Kaitlyn he had no idea what she was talking about.

She pointed to the white business card peeking out from his suit.  "She put her number in your pocket."

Murphy pulled the offending item out, glanced at it - and to her surprise, appeared caught off guard.  "You were enjoying that," he accused.

"You bet ya," she grinned.

Much to Kaitlyn's bewilderment, the drive back to the FBI headquarters was without the heavy mood that had followed them around for the past few days.  She wondered if it had something to do with their previous conversation.  Perhaps I should tell him to pull his head in more often?

A unexpected result was waiting for Kaitlyn not long after they returned to the office and she checked her monitor.  The search she had kicked off earlier had wielded results.