Chapter Seventeen: Claptrap

The high walls that guarded her secret garden had finally collapsed. Upon stumbling, it exposed a much worse nightmare. A nightmare I don’t know if I could even save her at all.

She stood in front of me with her face showing every emotion she tried to hide all those times. Tears had streaked her flushed cheeks. Her brown eyes down casted with dark shadows forming right under them. Her lips quivered as she tried to keep painful sobs from coming out of it. Hands clutched and breathing rapidly, she showed no point of breaking down. Honesty poured out of her chest like a heavy rain that suddenly made everything dull and sad. 

Right before my eyes, the real Makie Romero revealed her deepest darkest secrets.

For the first time, Makie allowed her feelings to show.

“Everything was white but blurry. The bright light hurt my eyes as I tried to slowly open them up. I couldn’t move. Every part of me ached from the sudden action I did. I couldn’t feel anything else but the heaviness inside my chest.” she told us.

I was an arm away from holding her, yet I couldn’t do it. It was like there was a huge barrier between us that forced me to stay away. I was frozen in place while we listened to her tell us that story she’s never told anyone. From my periphery, I saw Vanessa pass Makie and made her way outside to where Andie was standing.

Vanessa made me see the shamed look in her face before she decided to lock Makie and me alone. The look either meant she was sorry for failing of keeping Makie’s trust or she was sorry I have to know the truth this way.

Wasn’t this what I’ve always wanted? To know the answers to the mystery that always trailed along the girl I’ve met on purpose and grew to love?

I don’t want to make her feel she needs to do this. I’m hurting her by having her explain everything to me. I can’t do this anymore. She will worsen because of me. I’m breaking her purposely.

Though we were now alone, the four walls of the room trapping us together didn’t stop Makie on with her story. I can’t tell her to stop. I don’t want to hear anything anymore. Please, stop. My heart can’t take it anymore as I hear words continuously coming out of her. “I didn’t know where I was. It scared me so much. I called out for help, only no voice came out of me. I tried one more time, still nothing came. I couldn’t even hear myself at all. I cried out for my Papa, needing him to tell me what’s happening. Why is there pain in me? What was I doing in that white room? Why couldn’t I speak? Why was I all alone? I tried harder, louder, hoping he could finally hear me. I waited for him but nobody came. My Papa wasn’t beside me.”

Shaky breaths escaped her thin red lips. I saw how she shook her head and tried all her might to go on. It hurt me to see her go through every word with such sadness and sorrow. “Then I heard myself screaming. I was crying out for my Papa. I needed my Papa so badly. I didn’t like what I was feeling inside me. The burble of thoughts in my head made it hurt like someone was pounding metal inside. Everything in that room was unclear in my vision. The unfamiliarity of the white room was rapidly choking me. Suddenly, I couldn’t breathe. My chest tightened as I tried gasping for air while as I screamed for help. Something was wrong with me.”