Chapter Eight - Caffeine

“Makie, are you okay? You have been drinking coffee ever since we left three hours ago. Exactly how many cups of it have you already drunk?”

Louis wasn’t the only one who noticed how Makie has been too jittery ever since we left our place and went on the road with all six of us cramped on the tour bus for the whole band and Makie herself. We have been travelling for the past three hours and for the last two pump stations we have been, Makie made sure to drag Niall on the nearest convenient store and buy loads of ready to drink coffee on cans. Well, someone’s a coffee addict.

And I have been counting how many of those were already consumed, -fifteen cans of coffee to be exact in just a matter of three hours. I do believe Makie wins some kind of record there.

“Babe, are you planning on never sleeping again? Your whole system is already overloading with too much caffeine.” Zayn asked with so much worry etched at his face as he looked at the girl sitting next to him on the ready-made couch of the bus with a can currently on her hand being consumes while Niall squeezed beside her, just staring at Makie as she sipped more of the now cold beverage. Louis, Liam and I sat at the opposite couch with our mouths wide open, hanging with disbelief. “You’re way too addicted to coffee, Makie, and that is hell scary.”

She rested her head on Zayn’s shoulder. “Don’t worry. I’m fine, really. I haven’t drunk that much.” Makie calmly announced to us.

As her hand moved the can closer to her lips once again, it left me no choice but to tell them, “I think fifteen cans are way too much. Makie, that’s more than enough to make you hyper all week!” I blurted out; pretty sure every crew member in the bus heard what I just said. I suddenly felt the boys beside me tense and panicked over our little caffeine addict tour mate.

“What?! Fifteen cans?! Makie, that’s enough. We’re doing a show, not some pajama party up all night.” Liam stood up and quickly snatched the tin can of coffee that Makie was gulping at the moment. “I’m going to tell the driver that we are not stopping at any gas stations anymore so you can’t get any more of this.”

Defeated for she was the youngest among us, Makie just sighed, “Fine.” And then she added, “Harry, could I borrow your cellphone please? I need to call Mama.”

I just frowned as I looked at her and then asked, “Didn’t Louis and I buy you a phone already? Don’t tell me you haven’t used it at all?”

Her hand travelled at the back of her neck. “Well, yeah, about that Harry, I asked Louis to return it back to the store after you gave it to me. I can’t just accept something as grand as an iPhone.”

“But-,”

Makie quickly interjected, a bit serious this time, “Harry, please. I just really need make a call and talk with Mama as soon as possible.”

I didn’t make a point to argue with her anymore. The seriousness in her tone made me believe that Makie was already pissed. Was that because of caffeine or because we refrained her from drinking coffee like it was water? I took my phone from my coat pocket and handed it to her.