Chapter eight: Our Little Get Away

"Have you ever seen the northern lights?" He broke the silence with his beautiful deep voice.
"No, I would love to, so majestic." I smiled, images of the lights slipping into my mind.  "Have you? I'm sure you have."  Of course he has, his daddy was rich and he got what he wanted.
"No. I've waited, I want to take someone who will treasure them with me, ya know? Who I can actually make memories with." He stared at the sky, probably picturing the swirling lights appear in the black sky.
"Yeah, I get it. I hope you find someone, that'd be neat." I smiled, maybe someday I'd go, travel the world and see the stars from different points of view.
You don't get it, do you?" He laughed, and ran his thumb along my jaw. "I want to take you." He turned my head so I was facing him, I blushed, was this really happening to me. It was so cliché, yet so incredible.
"I, but, why me?" I was lost for words, wouldn't anyone?
"Well let's see, you're my better half, my world, I love you to pieces." His hand drifted down my arm to my hand, standing up, he pulled me with him. He was basically dressed like a bum, stained jeans, work boots loosely tied, plaid shirt unbuttoned with a light grey t-shirt wrinkled underneath. His scruffy hair swung in the wind, and his perfect smile lit up the world.
"May I ask where you are taking me?" I swung his arm back and forth, again so cheesy and cliché, yet so perfect and a beautiful wonderland that never ended.
"To a secret spot, which I have never taken anyone, you're special." He sent a wink my way and it felt like someone reached into my chest and punched my heart. Butterflies weren't even close to how this felt. Why did I all of a sudden start to feel like I had to try to make him like me, he was mine I didn't have to worry anymore, right?
"Well it sounds very special! I'm excited!" My heart was pounding but, in all honesty this sounded fun, adventurous, I felt alive, and that was rare.
We walked for about mile of dirt road and beaten paths before moss took over, the trees hung low, forming an enchanted forest that I only dreamed about, I look up at the trees only to spot this beautiful little tree house.
"Well, this is it." He smiled pointing at the little tree get away.
"It's so-" before I could finish he cut me off.
"Lame, yeah I know but, it's all I have that my parents can't control." He looked away, were his parents strict? No, look at him, they can't be.
"I was going to say amazing asshole." I laughed and elbowed his side, I knew he would smile, sure enough he did.
"Hey, watch your mouth little miss!" He pointed his finger right in my face before grabbing my waist and throwing me over his shoulder, running away from the ladder to the tree house.
"Put me down!" I yelled, kicking my feet while dying of laughter all at once.
"Never! You're as light as a feather! I feel like I'm not holding anything!" He slowed down and began to put me back on the ground,"but in all reality I was holding my world above my shoulder." The red around his cheeks from running got darker, I just laughed.
"Funny how you didn't seem to give two shits who I was like a week ago, now I'm your world." I smiled and began to make my way back to the ladder of the tree house.
I climbed the ladder, with each step I took the wooden pieces would creak and move under my feet. I reached the top pulling myself up opening the door. I stepped inside smelling cigarettes immediately.
"Do you, smoke?" I was baffled, he couldn't.
"Nah, these little snoopers keep hanging out up here. I should put some locks on the door." He squeezed by me throwing the cigarettes down to the ground in a pile. "I'll pick em up before we leave." Grabbing a piece of paper and a pen he wrote a note,
Hey assholes, my girlfriend doesn't appreciate your smoking, knock it off before shit hits the fan.
-Tree house owner
I watched him write over his shoulder, his writing was decent, very fluent, and neat, majestic like I suppose.
"Nice note babe, why do you bring me into this?" I laughed quickly kissing his cheek before he stood up.
"Maybe they'll be more, I don't know, caring. Sorry." He sighed, he thought I was serious!
"No no! I was kidding!" I quickly responded, I hope he wasn't mad.
"Oh." He laughed at himself and closed the door.
The decorations were pretty for a tree house, to the right of the door was a shelf with pictures and drawings, maybe his sketches? If so they were amazing. To the left was a little cushioned chair that was a maroon color. In front was a desk with a black swivel chair, the desk had a lamp, some paper, and a pen. The floor was wood, along with the ceiling but, everything about it was just so comforting.
"Hello? Hello? Are you even alive?" James waved his hand in front of my face a few times.
"Hm, yeah? What!" I shook my head and locked eyes with him.
"I've been saying your name for the past five minutes dipshit." His tongue flew out and he pouted like a child, it was cute but, annoying.
"Well I was zoned out babe." I poked his chest, showing I meant it.
"Okay then, we should start heading back, I'm getting hungry." He moaned, he was so childish sometimes it made me laugh.
"Fine fine, we might as well." I sighed, this place was so nice and I could have slept here. I opened the door and began my way down the ladder.