Wounded- Chapter Thirty Three

Edited:

Published: Saturday, November 21st 2015 10:17 am

Jafar:

As soon as I walked inside, the first sight I am met with is Ayah's sleeping form on the couch, her phone clutched in her hand. Even though her eyes are closed, she looks exhausted. This is how it usually is when I get back from the school, and I can't help but feel guilty for not spending time with her. All of my attention has been on my father and the team that I haven't given the fact that I leave her here for hours everyday much thought.

I walked up to the closet and took out a blanket, and walked back over to her to place it on her. And for a minute, I sat down on the armrest and watched her sleep. There are so many things that I need to figure out. One being the baby. We haven't even began to buy the necessary supplies for an infant, but to do that you need somewhere to put the
Items. I know she doesn't want to admit it, but we can't live here. There just isn't enough space, especially when her mother returns.

I stayed there for another moment with her just sitting until I finally stood up to go get ready for bed. After showering and throwing some shorts and a t-shirt on, I came back out front to find Ayah sat up on her phone.

"Hey," I smiled and sat down besides her. She pressed one final button before turning to me with a sleepy grin on her face.

"Hey. When did you get in?"

"About twenty minutes ago," I sat down next to her and narrowed my eyes. "You look tired. You should go back to sleep."

"Maghrib will be in soon. Besides, we need to talk about tomorrow. Where do you want to go?"

I groaned. "No where," I said and she scoffed at me.

"Tomorrow is your birthday. You don't have to have a celebration, but we could do something for you. It's your day."

"I'm just not in the mood to celebrate."

Ayah looked at me sadly and started to say something, when I shook my head.

"It's not him. I'm at the point of just seeing him just to keep him out of my head."

"How about tomorrow?" She asked, and I looked up with wide eyes. "It doesn't sound like the best present at first, but you never know. It could change into something you always wanted."

"I don't know how you're managing to change my mind so quickly, but...it's working. Slightly."

With a smile, she looked out of the window before turning back to me. "Just a spur of the moment advice," She told me, and I nodded. "Come here," She ushered me forward. I raised an eyebrow before complying to her request and sat beside her. "I need you to do two things for me: close your eyes and breathe. Close them," She emphasized when I made no move to do it. Without an argument, I closed my eyes and relaxed on the couch.

"Are you relaxed?"

"Yeah," I whispered, my eyes still closed. "Can I open them now?"

"Not just yet," Next thing I know, I feel her lean down to give me a kiss. I sat there frozen for a second, wondering what in the world just happened. "Happy birthday," She whispered in my ear. Once I finally was able to open my eyes, she was gone.