03

The photo on the side if of Marilyn's mother Heather......................

As Marilyn sat in her room, her thoughts ran to Josh. She wondered what he would say if he knew what Hank did to her. Would Josh even care? She couldn't help but wonder if Josh even really liked being around her. She always heard how no one would want her, everyone thought she was a loser and a whore. Hank was good at making her feel horrible. She looked out her window and watched the rain fall. She sighed as she wrote her thoughts down in her journal. It was her escape. It was the one thing that had never let her down. She hadn't seen Josh in a week and a half. He had been busy working, she was about to go to prom and graduate. She had no date to prom. Sure she had told Josh she would be going, but she knew he would figure out she'd be going alone. He knew she had never had a date.

She had bought her dress, she loved it from the moment she tried it on. It was a sheer floor-length chiffon attached skirt that was soft teal blue that flowed over a strapless lace mini dress. It was strapless and hugged her body. It was perfect. She even bought a pair of silver rhinestone-accented Cagged dress sandals to go with it. She would curl her hair and put it half up and half down. As she thought more about it, she got sad. Her friends didn't really talk to her so she had no idea if they'd care she was going. Her mother was driving her which made her feel worse.

The night of prom arrived and Marilyn started to get ready. It had been a week since Hank had done anything to her. She was glad for that at least. Her mother walked into her room and smiled at her.

“You're going to have a great time.” She smiled at her daughter.
“Yea. I'll see a few friends. Talk, laugh, joke.” Marilyn didn't have the heart to tell her mother her husband drove them all away.
“Let me know when you're ready and we can go.” She smiled as she left.
“Ok mom.” She sighed as she got ready.

AS she did her hair and make up she thought about what the night meant. The end of high school. A night that everyone planned on getting drunk and having sex. The door bell brought Marilyn out of her thoughts. She looked out the window and saw a limo. Her mind was puzzled as her mother ran in her room.

“Josh is here, why didn't you tell me he was taking you?” Heather laughed.
“I had no idea!” Marilyn laughed as she slid her shoes on.
“He really is a sweet boy.” She smiled as she left Marilyn to get ready.

Downstairs Hank glared at Josh. Heather smiled as she sat next to her husband.

“She should be down shortly. She didn't know you were coming.” Heather smiled.
“I wanted to surprise her. I didn't want her to go alone.” He gave Heather a smile as he looked around the house.
“Don't try anything funny.” Hank growled.
“I have the utmost respect for Marilyn. I wouldn't do anything unless she asked or wanted it.” Josh looked at Hank funny. Wondering what he meant by that.
“Be sure you're safe tonight. No drinking and driving.” Heather joked, the sound of footsteps caught Josh's attention and he looked to the stairs. His jaw dropped when he saw Marilyn.
“Wow.....You look amazing.” He smiled as he got up to give her a hug.
“Thank you. You don't look bad yourself.” She gave a small laugh. He had on a black suit with a white shirt and pink tie.
“Shall we go?” He asked, holding his hand out to her.
“Sure.” She said goodbye to her mother and walked with Josh to the limo.
“Were you surprised?” Josh asked.
“Yes. Thank you. I don't feel so odd now.” She laughed as he helped her in.
“You shouldn't feel odd.” He smiled as he slid in next to her.
“This is just amazing. It really is. I honestly thought I'd be sitting my mom's VW on the way to prom. Not a limo.” She pressed her lips against his cheek and looked around.

Josh felt a blush creep to his face as he reached for a bottle. He handed a glass to Marilyn and flashed her a smile. He pour some whiskey into her glass and some for himself. He added some soda and smiled.