04; a punch a day keeps the doctor away

Start from the beginning

"Fine," I muttered, leaning back in my seat. We were soon parked outside the surgery and I gulped before slowly unclicking my belt and getting out the car.

"Come on." Dad patted my back and kept his hand over my shoulder as we walked to the front steps of the surgery.

Karen checked us in with the receptionist, who gave us a nasty glare, probably from being late. My name was called on the speaker just as I was about to sit down.

So as we made our way to the specific room they told us to be at, I glanced at all the stupefying art on the walls and all the old photographs about things they've done at this place. Apparently, Barney had visited the children here in 2002.

"Hello, Flynn." Dr Harrison greeted with a smile. I forced a smile back and took a seat. "how are you today?"

"Good. Neutral, I guess." I shrugged.

"So, what are we here to discuss about? You didn't specify on the phone, Mrs Hopper."

"Flynn's just come back from university, and he's had episodes. The first day he came back, he was a little down, but not a lot. However, the next morning, he was all over the place-"

Oh what was that? It was just me rolling my eyes.

"He was bouncy, hyperactive, over enthusiastic and very very energetic." Dad summed up. "Later that day, he was angry and spiteful and he spoke... Extremely fast."

"Right..." Dr Harrison said, "and you said your ex-wife's grandmother had Bipolar 2?"

"Indeed. However, Flynn doesn't seem to have all the same symptoms. He's much calmer." Dad informed.

"Last time you came here, I put Flynn down as Bipolar-Not-Otherwise-Specified because we saw symptoms and prescribed Fluouextine Olanzapine for the depression because I hadn't witnessed a full blown manic episode."

"Yes." Karen answered.

"How long were you in university, Flynn? And how long ago did you drop out?" The doctor asked.

"I was in university for two months, I came home last week on Friday." I told him and fiddled with my fingers.

He put his own down, "Flynn, you have Cyclothymia. It's not as severe as Bipolar 1 and 2, in fact, it's pretty mild. It includes being episode free for two months at maximum. Sometime around the time you started university, you had episodes, am I right?"

"I was depressed at first, but I thought it was just from being in university. I went clubbing a couple times, but I didn't have much fun."

"Right, so, this is good, Flynn." He smiled and wrote some notes down, "Mr and Mrs Hopper, please do keep my informed about his behaviour for the next week or so."

"How comes he didn't have any signs in the last two years? We all thought he just had depression." Dad asked.

"Sometimes the symptoms just become visible when they're older. It's pretty normal that he's being diagnosed at his age." He told us.

"I don't- I can't. I can't have it. Fucks sake." I growled. Suddenly everyone's attention was on me, and they were all looking a little taken aback.

"I'm sorry Flynn." Dr Harrison said, "but I'm pretty sure you do-"

"No, that's fucking messed up. Why is it me? Why didn't mum have it? Why did I have to get it?"